Linked Events

• Autumn Dance Challenge: May 01, 2011

Author Topic: Autumn Dance Challenge - DDR Competition - Sunday May 1  (Read 6392 times)

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
Autumn Dance Challenge - DDR Competition - Sunday May 1
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:34:58 AM »
    Team Ranking Task-Force is pleased to announce our next DanceDanceRevolution Competition, once again presented in conjunction with Timezone Family Entertainment Centres.

The Autumn Dance Challenge will be held in the Timezone Albert Street location on Sunday 1 May. Competition starts at Midday, so be there early to register.

Players who took part in our Summer competition in December can expect a similar format, featuring 2 main competition divisions: Difficult and Expert.

There will also be a number of fun, single-round events that will be free for everyone to take part in across the day, so players of all skill levels are invited to come along and join in.

A shortlist of songs will be announced on Friday 15 April, and will be posted to the DDR cabinets in Timezone locations across Brisbane. Competition rounds will be chosen at random from the shortlist on the day.

Timezone are providing prizes of bonus store-credit for the top 4 places in each division, and all paid competitors will receive a gift of 2 free games (some conditions of use will apply). Competition Division Entry Fee is $5.

We'd also like to showcase DDR Performance play, so if any Freestylers and Performance players would like to show off a routine on the day, please comment and let us know.

You can find this event on Facebook here. Please add yourself and help us spread the word!

If you have any questions, please add your comments to this thread in the forum, and we will be happy to provide any information as it is finalised.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:49:40 AM by EBE@RTF »
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
Re: Autumn Dance Challenge - DDR Competition - Sunday May 1
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:38:54 AM »
[Post reserved for updates on competition details]

[Schedule of Events announced 25/04/2011 at 06:39:20 am]

The following timetable is our planned Schedule of Events for the day. Please be aware this approximate timetable is subject to change, and specific events may take longer than expected on the day. We ask that all competitors be present and registered prior to the midday start time, however we will accept entry up until the end of Round 1 for each Division.

11:00am   Competitor Registration
Midday   Difficult Division - Round 1
  Expert Division - Round 1
1:30pm   Marvelous Attack (Bonus Event)
  Good Attack (Bonus Event)
2:00pm   Difficult Division - Round 2
  Expert Division - Round 2
2:45pm   Expert Double Score Attack (Bonus Event)
3:00pm   Difficult Division - Round 3
  Expert Division - Round 3
3:30pm   Stepcharts (Bonus Event)
  Hearing Vision (Bonus Event)
4:00pm   Difficult Division - FINAL
  Expert Division - FINAL
4:30pm   Team Relays (Bonus Event)
5:00pm   Performances

All Bonus Events are free to enter, and open to all players. Everyone is invited to take part:

• Marvelous Attack - 1 song, Basic difficulty, highest number of Marvelous steps wins.
    A simple test of accuracy, the most basic form of our competition.
  • Good Attack - 1 song, Basic difficulty, highest number of Good steps wins.
    Trying to step that little bit off-beat is trickier than it sounds!
  • Expert Double Score Attack - 1 song, Expert difficulty, Double mode.
    For masters of 8-panel gameplay
  • Stepcharts - 1 song, Basic-Difficult difficulty.
    The arrows are hidden, and players must read their steps from printed stepcharts.
  • Hearing Vision - 1 song, Basic-Difficult difficulty, game audio off.
    Players must match steps on the machine while different music is played.
  • Team Relays - 1 song, teams of 4-5 players, relay edit steps.
    Players must swap on and off the platform, working as a team for the best score.
  • Performances - Freestyle play or a choreographed routine, show off your best performance. Costumes encouraged!

[Song List announced 15/04/2011 at 02:29:41 pm]

Competitors will choose to enter 1 of 2 main divisions: Difficult or Expert

Songs for Rounds 1-3 of the Autumn Dance Challenge will be chosen at random from the following list on the day of competition:

DifExp
Title   Artist   SN2/X   SN2/X
DA CAPO   ACE OF BASE   5/7   7/10
SP-TRIP MACHINE (JUNGLE MIX)   DE-SIRE   7/9   8/10
Scorching Moon   Shawn the Horny Master   6/7   7/11
MARS WAR 3   JET GIRL SPIN   6/8   8/11
stealth   DAISUKE ASAKURA   6/8   8/11
AM-3P   KTz   6/8   8/11
HYSTERIA   NAOKI 190   6/8   8/11
321 STARS   DJ SIMON   6/9   8/11
GIRIGILI門前雀羅   Cheki-ROWS   5/7   8/12
ANGELUS -アンジェラス-   島谷ひとみ   5/7   8/12
cachaca   Mokky de Yah Yah's   5/7   8/12
RED ZONE   Tatsh & NAOKI   6/8   8/12
MY SUMMER LOVE   MITSU-O! with GEILA   6/9   9/12
Electro Tuned (the SubS mix)   TaQ   6/9   9/12
CaptivAte ~誓い~   DJ YOsmegAKA feat. A/I   6/8   8/13
Saturn   Mr.Saturn   5/9   8/13
SOUL CRASH   nc ft. HARDCORE NATION   7/9   8/13
LEADING CYBER   dj TAKA   7/9   9/13
PARANOiA Rebirth   190'   7/10   9/13
DROP OUT   NW260   7/10   9/13

Songs selected for Difficult division will be played on the Difficult rating stepchart.
Songs selected for Expert division will be played on the Expert rating stepchart.

Only songs available in both DDR Supanova2 and DDRX are allowable for this competition.

[Entry Fee, Prize and Competition Structure Details announced 01/04/2011 at 02:14:58 am]

Entry Fee and Prizes

Entry Fee for Expert and Difficult divisions has been set at $5 per person.
All paid competitors received 2 Free Games for use on any music/rhythm title at Timezone Albert St, Chermside, Browns Plains or Redbank locations (can be used as of 2/5, valid for 30 days).

Any other events run on the day are Free and open to all players.

Timezone Bonus Credit prizes will be awarded to the Top 4 Finalists in each division. Minimum prize values are as follows:
Exp 1st Prize $40    Dif 1st Prize $20
Exp 2nd Prize $30    Dif 2nd Prize $15
Exp 3rd Prize $20    Dif 3rd Prize $10
Exp 4th Prize $20    Dif 4th Prize $10

If numbers are favourable, we will increase these prize values based on the total entry fee pool.

Competition Structure

• Players will select which division they wish to enter.
  • Each division will be comprised of 4 rounds, and players will progress as follows:

Qualifying Round: 2 songs - Maximum Top 16 advance
Round 2:2 songs - Top 50% advance
Round 3:2 songs - Top 4 advance
Final Round: 4 songs - chosen by finalists

• All songs used in this competition must be playable in DDR Supernova2 version. This rule has been made so as not to disadvantage competitors from suburban locations where DDRX version is not available.
  • Songs for the first 3 rounds of both divisions will be chosen at random on the day of the competition from a 'Shortlist' to be announced on Friday 15 April.
  • Expert division will play songs chosen on Expert difficulty, Difficult division on Difficult.

Final Round
  • Songs will be chosen by the 4 division finalists, one song each, no repeats.
  • Finalists will make their picks in reverse ranking order (eg 4th place choses first).
  • As your preferred song may be chosen by another finalist, please have 4 options prepared, just in case.
  • A note on song selection: Scoring is based on step accuracy, so it is important to select a song you can play well (ie least number of misses), not necessarily the hardest song you can pass.

Scoring
  • RTF competitions are scored using variations of the RCA system, with points values assigned to each 'step rating' (Marvellous = 0, Perfect = 1, Great = 2, etc).
  • A players score for the round will be the total of the number of steps in each rating multiplied by that rating's value. The lowest score is the best.

The following is an example of how a score is calculated:
Step Rating   Value   Player Steps   Score
Marvelous   0   x 125   = 0
Perfect   1   x 20   = 20
Great   2   x 4   = 8
Good   3   x 3   = 9
Almost   4   x 1   = 4
Boo   5   x 1   = 5
Freeze OK   0   x 2   = 0
Freeze NG   5   x 1   = 5
      Total   51
  • Players will be ranked from lowest score to highest in each round.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:40:59 AM by EBE@RTF »
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +4/-7
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »
Cools, I ordered some new sensors, I'll give them to Rene to put in sometime when they arrive, so pads should be good for this :]

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
Awesome. Happy for you and Andrew to work whatever magic you guys think is necessary.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »
I'll check with Rene (the technician) before throwing parts in, but I'm sure he won't object to new sensors. Since the pads are kind of bad now (well one side anyway, not sure which but a few people said only one side is good).

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »
spreading/adding myself to the event:)

not really related but I think I can save a few of the dead sensors with my super secret sensor revival technique.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
Following a discussion with Lachlan the other night, there is an important point I think we should make for anyone coming here for the first time to check out the competition details:

Don't think you aren't good enough for a competition.

At least consider giving the Difficult division a shot. We only had 2 entrants for Difficult at the summer comp, so you already stand a good chance of claiming a prize. You might surprise yourself!

Completely aside from that, RTF competitions are a social event. We're all there to have fun. If you enter and don't win? No problem! Just have fun with it and hang out with other DDR fans for the day. There'll be other events for you to try out between rounds too.

The song list will be published ahead of time to give you a chance to try out the songs and prepare yourself. Play through the list and see how you go. Practise the ones that give you trouble. You can pick them up pretty quickly when you know what to concentrate on.

And remember: the $5 fee gets you entry into the comp and 2 free games to use on any music simulation title in any Timezone location in Brisbane.

And if after all that, competing really isn't your thing? Come along anyway! There'll be one-off events between rounds that are free for everyone to take part in. Some are serious tests of skill, the others are just silly challenges using the DDR machine. Hopefully we'll have a performance or two to show you as well.

Jump on the Facebook event, everyone, and share it with your friends. Help us spread the word! If anyone has any questions, send them here, or feel free to contact us directly.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:35:28 AM by EBE@RTF »
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:07:57 AM »
I'm not sure how many people read this - but I'll write it anyway. Even if you really don't think you are good enough, you should come along and enter. If you want to get better, events like this are great. You will learn a lot from meeting and watching other players, and improve much faster than you otherwise would have.

Also you get to meet lots of fun people, play some games, and chill out.

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »
nice song list, looks really varied...I hate AM-3P though hahaha. looks fun! can't wait -hype-

edit: yes angelus! such a fun chart.

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +2/-1
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:56:38 AM »
wendy says lachlan is banned from entering because he works at timezone

this true or not
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:59:11 AM by Y3LLoWM4oM4o »
Quote from: B1uEM4oM4o
however tbh it just isn't good enough. you cant argue with this, players like me, dan, kevin etc. who are all a lot better than you all agree with this. we all get smeg and it's really annoying. Dan gets pad greats like crazy. I dont even bother maing there, its a waste

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:43:13 AM »
since wendy is totally in a position to make that statement lol.

sometimes i feel like i'm wasting my time when all i get is critical for my work at timezone and never thanked for the extra effort i put in and passion i try to work with. entirely unrelated, but it's 4am and i'm kind of half asleep.

edit lmao i dont remember typing any of that barely i must have been in a really smeg mood hahaha.

anyway the right arrow on the 1p side is misfiring, might have to replace sensor or something. up on 2p is awful, but it's been like that for ages, i think like 3 of the sensors are really bad.

except 1p right the rest of 1p is reasonable, not good but reasonable (esp compared to 2p, which is unplayably bad at this point). 2p down is kind of shot too, and ... well most of that side sucks actually but i'll try have a look/tell someone, although that didnt really work for up, maybe just move the good sensors to the inside?

the 1p right arrow has a oversensitive sensor which happens when they split open, so that should be fairly easy to fix, you can just replace it, or maybe put a piece of tape through it and that will seal it up so it wont accidentally trigger (half of my pad runs on 'rescued' sensors with tape atm and they are fine, you can reduce the sensitivity by putting more pieces of tape through the centre of split sensors)

i think i could write a book about how to fix ddr machines hahaha

edit edit: someone did a really shoddy job raising 2p left i think which did some damage to the sensors zz. bad sensor rotated to less important position. srslyyyyyyyy. who raises with cardboard UNDER the metal L bracket.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:19:56 PM by SAN »

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »
Wendy says a lot of things :D

I see no reason why Lachlan shouldn't be allowed to compete. This is a test of skill, not chance, and the machine doesn't lie.

Thanks for the research too, Lachlan. We've been playtesting the song list this week, and I agree that 2P definitely has some issues to address. It'll be fine for practising, assuming people keep the condition in mind, and we should be able to get any maintenance required done over Easter. Will let you know when we're looking at it so we can get your assistance.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »
i try to do quick and easy stuff, like rotating a bad sensor etc, except i think we need a decent amount of time to make it all good (i think like an hour maybe or something, if give it a good clean and make it really good, the pads should maintain top condition for like, a few months at least). everything is all over the place, so many different sensors and different heights, etc.

i have like 30 spare sensors almost a fresh start, maybe when you guys do your thing, we can put them in (when can we do this? i dont even know who to ask about it etc.)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:19:35 PM by SAN »

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
double post, but I think andrew did a bunch of pad related maintainance last time, maybe you can help us again? In fact you can probably shed some light on a few issues, is fixing DDR encompassed in my position at timezone (considering I have to like fix other stuff that breaks, eg monopoly, tekken buttons, etc). since ddr is pretty much the same thing anyway? what's the go with that?

since i dont really want to get in trouble for anything , but i really wanna make timezone better for the customers and for this event!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:22:02 PM by SAN »

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +13/-0
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
I have to say the feedback you're giving is pretty awesome, Lac.  Much appreciated!

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
I have probably enough sensors to replace -everything- in the entire pad, except that probably isn't needed (since most of the sensors are still pretty okay, it only takes one or two bad ones to make a panel not that good though).

If you are reading this Andrew, do you think there would be a chance we could get you in to help us with the pads? Or just your permission to fix them (maybe during a down time of work, or something...not many ppl playing games at 3am in the morning, hahaha). I can assure you I won't break anything, since I've spend many hours on this sort of thing. The only thing that seems diff about fixing DDR and other machines is you need to unscrew the panels (don't wanna get in trouble or anything).

Buuuut yeah, I dont even mind using my own sensors (which i can assure you of the quality since i've used the same supplier for years). would be good to know anyway (i cant seem to find any answers to a lot of my questions, since I hardly get a chance to work with experienced people - Vanessa only does day shifts and I only do night!)

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »
That kind of shop talk is probably best had through work channels, not this forum. I'm sure Andrew will be able to contact you.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Least100Seraphs

• RTF Team Member
  • Advanced
  • Rating: +4/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »
First, something I need to make clear here.

As a Timezone representative:
Timezone is not running, conducting or officiating this competition. Timezone is not making the rules, choosing the songs, or determining a winner.
Timezone's role in this competition is to provide a location for competition, and to support and encourage the competitive videogame community.
Timezone's opinion on who should or should not be allowed to enter is irrelevant. This is RTF's competition, and RTF's decision.
Timezone's only involvement is its standard right to refuse entry to any person that does not follow Timezone's Code of Conduct.

As an employee at Timezone and member of the videogame community:
Anyone who honestly believes that Lachlan (or myself, for that matter!) should not be allowed to compete is implying that
a) Timezone would have more to gain than to lose by trying to rig a competition, and
b) RTF would allow Timezone to do this to their competition.

As for machine maintenance, I will speak to the relevant higher ups regarding the posts in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:39:47 PM by Least100Seraphs »

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 01:37:32 PM »
Oh, cool.

I don't know the exact motivations behind timezone and the comp, but isn't the main idea to get more people out and playing the game and raise awareness of timezone and the fact they are providing events for the gaming community (as opposed to bluntly making more money).

I'm not really that fussed about entering (if I couldn't although that is kind of ridiculous), I'll of course turn up and support this.

I'm all good with heaps of stuff to make the machine better ( I hate seeing dancing machines neglected!). I don't want to go and replace stuff without permission etc - all I've done is stuff which I do to every machine as required by staff, such as fixing buttons, unjamming stuff. Since DDR naturally takes a lot of time to work on, it's not really viable to fix it like some other machines.

Thanks Andrew for your incite, I think we would all appreciate anything you can do to help us get the machine better! Especially with the tournament coming up. I might add you did a really great job last time with the pads, although there were small errors...I think they weren't really fixable based on the tools and time constraints.

Just trying to go the extra mile for the community/my job!

:]

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +13/-0
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
I for one welcome our Timezone overlords.

It's a bit of a silly thing for Wendy to say considering RTF members enter the comp, really!

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
Off topic but very related, a lot of people are noticing the signs for the tournament, so hopefully some of them will take it to heart, I try to tell everyone about it! The two free music games is a good idea too, since people feel like they get a little more back.

Also unrelated but for some reason, when you do the $20 get $10 bonus for the holidays you also get a free music game (not sure why or if it's even intentional).

Offline Least100Seraphs

• RTF Team Member
  • Advanced
  • Rating: +4/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
That's some leftover code from a while ago when DJ Max Tecnika (1) was out, and we were promoting it by giving a free game of it with every $10 load. It should have been removed - and now it has. :)

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »
Cool I think I made a note of it anyway so I'm sure someone would have seen it.

It was actually good, it made it pretty easy to sell - 'you also get a free game of Dj max or DDR!'.

Although the $10 extra deal is soooo good, at least 50% of people who charge $10 can be encouraged to charge $20 for the bonus.  8)

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
Things are progressing smoothly for us so far for the competition. This weekend we'll have a preliminary timetable for the afternoon, so everyone will know what events we'll be offering and when to be available.

In the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions about the competition. Hopefully we've answered any questions left over from the last event, but there may be things that aren't clear, or questions people haven't asked yet. Anything you'd like to know about how the comp will be run, please post your queries here and we'll do our best to answer them.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
hear anything about pad maintainance yet?

also, are the posters up with the songlist? I didnt see it last time i was in, but that was like almost a week ago.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 01:39:25 AM »
Looks like there might have been some printing issues on Friday, but we got them up in Albert St on Monday night.

I haven't been to other TZs to check, so if anyone else who's local can report in, please let us know! We want the song list out there so everyone has a chance to practise.

I'm going to assume Chermside is OK since Andrew's out there most often.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:49:21 AM by EBE@RTF »
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline SteveONos

• NSFW
  • Expert
  • Rating: +0/-0
  • Steve O
    • Steve 'Nostalgical Flares' CTH Oing's art gallery. Take a look and see.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
got no list in Browns plains TZ. I told many people about it. Some are willing to join.
You're Steve. Steve ONOS, who writes his name with a

Of course you'll always have something to say

LOL that's DEFINITELY me

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »
Thanks for letting us know, Steve. We'll discuss it with Andrew today.

The timetable for the comp has been posted above. This is our rough outline for the day, but events should not start any earlier than stated. We do ask that all competitors be present and registered before the midday start time, to help us keep everything moving smoothly.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Looks pretty well set out! Looking forward to this.

I won't be in until later on today, but if you need some extra sensors anywhere between now and this event, let me know since I bought some brand new ones recently.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »
It's here! Today's the big day ;D

Look forward to seeing everyone in Timezone!
Team Ranking Task-Force