Author Topic: Aussie e-Amuse  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Keaven

• Arcade Manager
  • RTF Team Member
  • Beginner
  • Rating: +0/-0
    • Timezone
Aussie e-Amuse
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:49:55 AM »
Well, as you all may or may not know. It is being arranged with Konami to connect Australia with the e-Amuse network. It has been very slow going, and unfortunately I have merely been a spectator in the arrangements.

I have recently been in contact with the South East Asia Konami Representative who will be initially launching the system for two store locations. Timezone George Street and another location in Melbourne that I do not know. I do not know how soon it will be online, and I've not got high hopes, but it is under way.

Being a store Owned by the owner of Replay, if it is successful it will no doubt quickly spread to his locations in Brisbane before hitting any location available.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
Re: Aussie e-Amuse
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
Awesome news!
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline Keaven

• Arcade Manager
  • RTF Team Member
  • Beginner
    • Timezone
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
Also, for starters it will be limited to Drums, and Guitar. But of course if it works well enough should spread to all Konami games. I imagine DDR will be the next to go online.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +13/-0
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:26:54 PM »
I guess DDR X could ship with it.  Definitely great news, because e-amuse makes the games a lot more fun to play.  Not just because it records scores, but because it also unlocks songs, and it records your settings (like speed modifiers!) and it'll allow you to use different options as well (like skins in IIDX, for example).  It makes the games feel a lot more like the home versions really.  Not to mention online ranking!

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +4/-7
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:38:28 PM »
Also, for starters it will be limited to Drums, and Guitar. But of course if it works well enough should spread to all Konami games. I imagine DDR will be the next to go online.

Ew. DDR is the most popular of the games (from my observation), why isn't it starting on that instread of Drums/Guitar?

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »
Quite possibly because it doesn't make as much money regardless of whether it's more popular or not.  GF/DM is $2/3 songs, DDR is $1/4 songs in most places.  Plus I don't know that it is more popular, I'd say DM is at least equal.  In a place such as the CBD, it's definitely the higher money maker, but if you were talking about, say, Morayfield having a DM machine, I'd expect DDR to make more money because of the price being cheaper.  People just have more money to spend in the city, and there's more people, too.  As far as Drummania is concerned, I once heard the figure, $600.  To put that in perspective, if that's per week, the machine costs maybe $10000, so you pay it back pretty quickly, minus other expenses - that's a tidy profit.  I don't think DDR would make more than $600 and about the only game that could is Maximum Tune 3, which costs more to buy.

Also, GF/DM had e-amuse first.  I think it even had it before Pop'n and IIDX.  Since GF8/DM7, to be precise.  That's, what, 8 versions ago?  About six years?  Most of the people who want e-amuse are people from HK, Philippines, Japan and so on - they already have it in those countries, and have for most of those six or so years.  They often complain about the lack of it in Australia (search this forum for examples :P).  Of course, diehard Bemani people want e-amuse, but I think most people would want it for GF/DM before DDR just because - well, song unlocks is a pretty damn good reason.  Looking on the JP GF/DM V5 rankings, all the top songs are e-amuse!  SN2 just uses it poorly, so I can't blame them - about the most interesting feature is Zukin Wars.  Anybody who really wants to record scores can use a PS1 memory card on DDREX, or just write them down like we used to (or even phone camera them).  Most people don't even know what it is I'd imagine, but probably quite a few wish it had some sort of card system like Maximum Tune 3 or whatnot.

I guess basically though it comes down to what is economical.  DDR's e-amuse launch was kinda sucky in the US, from what I remember.  As I have said, most SE Asian countries already have it, so it's simple to just give us their crap.  It just so happens in those countries, DDR isn't as popular as it is here, and games like GF/DM, IIDX and even Pop'n have rediculous fanbases compared to ours.  I guess it comes down to either there's no practical DDR e-amuse model for them to work off, or that it's really simple to implement GF/DM.

But that's all speculation.  Personally I think it'd be best just to wait until DDR X now - Zukin Wars would be pretty much over now, and the chance of unlocking the last few songs before the next code I guess would be 1/2 or 1/4.  Ultimately you'd get to record your scores for however long the machine is kept.  Hmm.  Personally, I think regardless of what game it's on first, everybody should try it.  I'd be buying an e-amuse card if it was DDR, Pop'n, IIDX, GF, DM, Jubeat, QMA, whatever.  And by 'an', I mean 'at least one of each design'.  I'm pretty sure they're not game exclusive anyway, I think the only data it contains is your Konami ID (or as Guitar Freaks 8th MIX called it, 'Konmai ID').

It'll be interesting to see how it works because a lot of copies historically are 'grey' imports.  I'm pretty sure Zax pushed V5 really hard so there's probably official local distribution, and if there isn't, LAI must be doing that sometime soon.  DDR SN2 is the same: Zax pushed it hard, historically lots of 'grey' imports, and all the ones around at the moment are 'official'.  Also, is Timezone/LAI handling the entire thing?  Is Konami Australia doing a thing?  I'm hoping Konami's not involved, because that might mean we get other SE Asian goodies.  It doesn't seem like they'd give a crap about anything that isn't a slot machine, really.

Actually, I have to ask - does StepMania have any option for a sort of pseudo e-amuse?  I don't use it, so I really don't know.  What I mean is some kind of score registration on the internet, and/or online unlocks of some sort.

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure SM doesn't have anything like that.

That was a huge post. I'll put effort into reading it tomorrow... gotta go now. Seems interesting from my skim though.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 12:16:14 AM »
Yeah, I tried to cut it down but failed!

I suppose the problem with the idea I threw up is it's hackable.  It still saves scores locally for multiple users, though, which is pretty good.

Offline risk zero

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +7/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:38:01 AM »
I thought machines region also dictactes what E-amuse subscription you need, IE USA just got it for their machines, Asia has their own, and of course Japan. Wouldn't this mean that we would have to get Asian machines as I'm guessing we'd be chasing up getting on the Asian network?

Offline E-lix

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +8/-1
  • i have no reason i just... Need to
    • Dr Retro
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:27:37 AM »
I thought machines region also dictactes what E-amuse subscription you need, IE USA just got it for their machines, Asia has their own, and of course Japan. Wouldn't this mean that we would have to get Asian machines as I'm guessing we'd be chasing up getting on the Asian network?

Wel our dm/gf's are asian ones at the moment are they not? either way this is an awesome step forward in the fight against terrorism, giving us the freedom to actually be part of the rest of the world at something. I'm suprised it to be dm/gf to start because we do have local release machines but only of ddr/Dancing stage, thought konami might have a bit of a stink to kick up about that.
Brisbemani, moar liek brisgay amirite!?

Offline Keaven

• Arcade Manager
  • RTF Team Member
  • Beginner
    • Timezone
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
Moved to News Forum

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
Haha, music terrorists

That's precisely my point though - if we're doing GF/DM first, that's telling me we're being lumped together with the SE Asian network.  Obviously we won't get our own unique one...I just wonder if Konami Australia is organising it or if LAI is.  LAI has a pretty good presence in SE Asia (better than here, I hear).  But as I said, DDR's not as big in SE Asia as it is here.  We could be waiting for a while on it.

I forgot to mention the e-amuse region thing though, oops.  It was implied, though.  Or implied to be implied.

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +2/-1
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 12:59:13 PM »
Actually, I have to ask - does StepMania have any option for a sort of pseudo e-amuse?  I don't use it, so I really don't know.  What I mean is some kind of score registration on the internet, and/or online unlocks of some sort.

the closest thing to that would be SM online

or FFR, the ODI boards or even the stepmania wiki (the wiki tracks stepmania world records and AAAAs on songs)
Quote from: B1uEM4oM4o
however tbh it just isn't good enough. you cant argue with this, players like me, dan, kevin etc. who are all a lot better than you all agree with this. we all get smeg and it's really annoying. Dan gets pad greats like crazy. I dont even bother maing there, its a waste

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »
But they are all unofficial, fan run things. And they aren't updated either =/ except ffr , but it sucks.

Offline Keaven

• Arcade Manager
  • RTF Team Member
  • Beginner
    • Timezone
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
Haha, music terrorists

That's precisely my point though - if we're doing GF/DM first, that's telling me we're being lumped together with the SE Asian network.  Obviously we won't get our own unique one...I just wonder if Konami Australia is organising it or if LAI is.  LAI has a pretty good presence in SE Asia (better than here, I hear).  But as I said, DDR's not as big in SE Asia as it is here.  We could be waiting for a while on it.

I forgot to mention the e-amuse region thing though, oops.  It was implied, though.  Or implied to be implied.
It is being done by the Konami Rep, which is Zac... Which explains why we are still waiting almost a year after getting the machines.