Author Topic: RTF.net Improvements - Website Overhaul  (Read 3824 times)

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
RTF.net Improvements - Website Overhaul
« on: October 25, 2006, 01:25:57 AM »
I'm in the process of testing out some of the more advanced features of SMF, and this should enable us to make the site a lot more interactive with the forum, and hopefully look a little nicer.

The first step will be to replace the current Blogger.com 'News and Updates' page, which you can see here.

I'm really new to php, so if anyone has some skills in this department, please feel free to offer some advice.

A really bad version of how this will end up looking can be seen here. This link is so I have an easy way to get to that page for testing, and this post is so I can see the results :D

Although many of you will have just seen this board pop up on your index, this has been here for a while, and will be used as the 'news post' forum. General members will not be able to post new topics here, but will be able to comment on posts. I may hide this again shortly, but feel free to comment away.

EDIT: I've now hacked the Blogger-generated news page to load data from this board instead. It's far from the finished product, but the forum is now integrated into the main site for news updates.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:37:02 PM by EBE@RTF »
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +15/-1
Re: RTF.net Improvements - Website Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 08:11:18 AM »
i know enough php to get by, depending on what you need. i could have a look at stuff if you want. i made my own blog which i so barely update...but im in the process of making a new site...with a new domain name and everything XD

and what type of advanced features of smf? hah i should look up this silly forum software and see exactly how it works
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 03:46:44 PM »
I'm using the SSI.php to extract data from the forum to display elsewhere on the website.

Once I'm happy with the way the news updated forum performs, we'll also be able to provide an RSS feed from the news board as well. This will be used for services like (although I'm pretty sure I'm still the only person subbed to the RSS feed there).

Website-wise, I want to get a better functioning menu system working, so I can actually put some more content up on the site. So far I've been hard-coding a menu into each individual page, which makes updating difficult.

I finally got around to installing Dreamweaver last night, so I'm gonna load up one of the templates and play around with it for a bit. See that I can cook up.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »
well since youre extracting the data already, you could do it twice and put stuff in an xml file, ta da rss feed. yes it is a bit more complicated than that, but only a bit
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 11:25:04 PM »
Or I could do this :D
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 12:13:17 AM »
you could :P
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:40:17 AM »
Just for the record: I've decided not to go ahead with the backup of the old news articles.

I mean really, it's old news anyway. The archives are still on the webspace, and may be linked to when I get the new version of the site up and running.
Team Ranking Task-Force