Author Topic: RTF Forums Reborn  (Read 102 times)

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
RTF Forums Reborn
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:21:19 AM »
Hi folks! It's been a while since I've been able to post here.

Due to some security flaws in earlier versions of this forum software, Russian spammer bots were able to create hundreds of thousands of fake accounts, and although accounts were supposed to require approval before posting, some were also able to trick the forum into approving them, so they were able to flood the boards with hundreds of spam topics.

I eventually locked the forum down in 2017, but by then the damage was done. Due to some other changes with the hosting of this website, we also lost access to the forum entirely.

Given the spare time afforded to me by the COVID-19 lockdown, and some favourable changes with the hosting, I've been able to install the most recent major update for the forum, and restore our database. Unfortunately, I've lost all of the mods I had installed, so I might not be able to restore all of that functionality.

I've also been able to clear the vast majority of spam posts EXCEPT for this General Discussion board. I'm working on it, but I have to delete the topics 1 page at a time, and we're looking at over 1200 pages to clear.

But I don't want to lose the old content that makes this place an archive of a certain period of time in the rhythm gaming history of Brisbane. It's all there, I just have to clear away the layers of crap on top.

I hope everyone's doing well out there. I know most of us have moved on to other communications methods, I know of one Discord that's up and running, and hopefully you're all staying in touch.
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999