Author Topic: DDR COMPETITION!!!  (Read 12652 times)

Offline ChuKaBi

• Nintendo DS is Fun :)
  • Advanced
  • Rating: +2/-6
  • Lära sig hur man använder Adobe After Effects
    • ChuKaBi's youtube
Re: DDR COMPETITION!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
lol you got a point but if you would rather spend your $4 dollars on beer than go ahead but i was browsing through the ddrfreak forums during class and i found this:

Our first tournament, RGC Alpha, attracted a grand total of 45 entreants! Players were seeded into a best of 32 bracket and paired off in head-to-head matches. Mike Quintance (LILQ), flying in from Chicago, went 13-0, winning every song and every match he played in for first place, and a grand prize of $370. Justin Kuret (JJK), from home here in north county San Diego, won hard-fought matches with Levin and Adam to make it to the finals - netting second place and $120. Adam Erskine (AWE), who had started practicing just a week or so before, played brilliantly, besting Roc and Jet to net third prize and $55. It was a very exciting tournament, and I think everyone had fun - and that's our goals with RGC Beta!

Overview

Date: September 3rd, 2005 [Labor Day]
Time: Tournament Begins at Noon - Warmup begins at 10AM.
Sections: In the Groove Technical

Rules

The rules will remain largely intact from our sucessful first tournament. I have made some minor changes along the way, but my goal is more to refine our prior rules rather then change them.

Qualifier

Everyone who pays the entry fee will play one of the following five qualifying songs, all on expert:

1) On a Day Like Today [9]
2) Disconnected [9]
3) Zodiac [10, or 9 on ITG2]
4) Kagami [10]
5) My Favorite Game [10]

A six sided die will be rolled three times at exactly noon. Each number rolled on the dice will be eliminated from the list of potential songs. Should a six be rolled, nothing will be eliminated. Should a number be rolled for a second time, nothing will happen. The dice will be rolled using a fair algorithmic program on my laptop, which will be present for the event.

Players will be seeded into a 32 person NCAA style bracket based purely on top percentage. All songs must be played on Single Expert. Although players will be given the option (and encouraged) to play with another, players may insist upon playing alone. Players will qualify by contacting one of the tournament organizers and stating that they wish to qualify now - and then possibly being added to a queue. If we reach a point where nobody wishes to qualify voluntarily, we will randomly select players from the list.

If there is extra room in the bracket, that is less then 32 people enter the event, the lowest seed numbers shall be used as Bye's.

Round One

This round will be organized by head to head matches, 1v32, 2v31, 3v30... The higher seed will have choice of side, and will pick the second song. The lower seed will select any one song on the Expert Difficulty, which both players will play. The higher seed will then select any one song of his own, also on the Expert Difficulty.

The player with the highest cumulative percentage after both songs will be declared the victor. All expert songs are allowed, from both ITG1 and ITG2 (should ITG2 be available).

Round Two

Players will be seeded again in the same style, thus 1v16, 2v15, 3v14 etc. Unlike last round, this round has nothing to do with cumulative percentage. Players will each recieve an index card on which they will write down three songs on the Expert Difficulty. They will then trade index cards.

The higher seed will select one of the lower seeds songs, and that song will be played first. The lower seed will select one of the higher seeds songs, and that song will be played second. A player will be awarded a point if he outscores his opponent on either song, based purely on percentage. If a player should win both songs, and thus have two points, he wins the match.

If, on the other hand, the match is tied 1-1 after the first two songs, a song will be randomly selected by chance as the tiebraker. The winner of this song will win the match 2-1.

At RGC Alpha we had no true tie scores on a song. Should this happen, the song will be considered a "scratch" and neither player shall receive a point. Players will then go to chance, but in this circumstance one player would have one point and the other would have zero. As such, the player with zero would need to win two songs before his opponent won one.

Round Three: The Quarter-finals

This match follows roughly the same format as the second round. Players are paired: 1v8, 2v7 etc. Players again receive index cards and select three Expert songs. The higher seed again selects first and the lower seed again selects second.

The only difference in the match is that the tiebraker song, Chance, will have the forced modifier RANDOM added to both players.

Round Four: The Semi-Finals

In this round, the cards now hold five songs. Players are paired: 1v4, 2v3. The higher seed selects one song from the lower seed's card, and that song is played first. The lower seed selects one song from the higher seed's card, and that song is played second. The higher seed selects another song from the lower seed's card and that song is played third. The lower seed selects another song from the higher seed's card, and that song is played fourth, if neccessary. A tiebraker of chance on RANDOM is played if necessary.

First player to 3 points in this match shall be declared the victor. The losers advance to round five, while the winners advance to round six.

Round Five: The 3-4 Shootout

This round follows exacty the format of the semi-finals, except of course that the players playing are whoever loses in Round 3. The winner of this match receives Third Place and it's corresponding prize.

Round Six: The Finals

This epic round sees the cards for both players progress to seven songs. The higher seed selects from the lower seed's card songs #1, 3 and 5 (if necessary). The lower seed selects from the higher seed's card songs #2, 4 and 6 (if necessary).

The first player to 4 points wins. If, after six songs, both players are tied at 3-3, the tiebraker changes.

The tiebraker for the finals will first be two songs selected on Chance, neither of which are on any forced mods. Now the match is first to 5 points, with one of the players needing both songs in order to win barring scratches.

If after those two songs, the players are still tied at 4-4 (neither player has reached five points) - a song will be selected through Chance and played on BLENDER. The winner of this song will win the match.

Universals

This section refers to universal rules that hold throughout the tournament.

The Agreement Clause

As with all rounds in the event, if players mutually consent, they may add any rules or remove restrictions which do not take extra time. At RGC Alpha this included song agreement (more important in later rounds), removal of the restriction on expert songs only, and agreement on forced mods. This clause does not allow the use of double play or extra songs, as that would, in fact, take more time.

The Recursive Clause

You may only play a song of your selection once throughout the tournament. This doesn't preclude you from writing a song down on different cards throughout the tournament rounds, but if you write down a song and it is selected then you cannot write it down again.

The Chance Clause

You may, in fact, write down CHANCE or RANDOM as your song, but if your opponent selects that you must play whatever comes up.

The Intention Clause

Anything not specifically covered in these rules will be up to my interpretation at the event.

The Managerial Clause

Tournament Organizers and Staff reserve the right to ask any player to leave the premises during the tournament. Further, we reserve the right to disqualify any player without refund for poor behavior.

The Arbitration Clause

We intend to have flawless pads for this event, however we all know that's pretty much impossible. If you feel you recieved a PAD ERROR in your match, let an organizer know and we will stop the match. We will use the following tests:

1) Does it matter? Would it change the outcome of the match if you were awarded these errors? If not, then there will be no change.
2) Does your opponent agree? If he agrees, then there is no problem, the errors will be awarded to you.
3) In the case that it matters and your opponent does not agree, we will confer amongst ourselves and ask the crowd - and then make a ruling. You cannot lose a match due to Pad Errors being awarded to your opponent unless you so consent, the most that can happen is the song is declared scratched.
4) In general, a pad error will be given as an EXCELLENT, not as a fantastic.

The Scratch Clause

As enumerated briefly in the rules for Round One, RGC Alpha had no true ties on any song. Should this happen in any round, both players will receive no points for that song and the match continues. Tieing a song in this way will be referred to as "scratching" it.

I am not asking you to pay the entry fee they paid which was a gay $15 and they only ended up winning about $350 for 1st place.
*Video games ruin lives, luckily I have extra lives.*

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »
They're also in the US, where the arcade gaming tournament scene is 100x more organised than ours has ever been, and attracts the kind of prizes people will play for.

The arcades there are a big part of that scene, whereas here the closest we've come to support is letting us use the machine without paying for it.

The reason they charge the $15 fee (and that's US$ too) will be that the prize is then a %age of the total prize money (possibly minus costs).

Sorry if I've just re-stated something in that post. It was a little bit tl;dr for me at work.

That kind of turn-out wasn't uncommon back when we were running PSSP every 3 months, and is easy when you have decent advertising (which has been hard for us with Replay not confirming comp dates until the week before) and community support.

We also don't have the big national scene the US enjoyed (enjoys?), and to my knowledge Camsta's the only person who's caught a flight to participate in a comp, or mebbe some Melb/Adel folks who travelled to the other city.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:12:54 PM by EBE@RTF »
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline Amby@RTF

• Memur
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +6/-1
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
Yeah we only had what 20 or so for pssp in may and you definatly would not get as big of a turn out in logan. To get that turn out you need to advertise for ages, plaster every ddr player in brisbane including the little emo crowds THEN get them down to logan in time which is horrible.

Logistical nightmares are ddr competitions.
Whats that wet stuff falling from the sky?

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »
Yeah we only had what 20 or so for pssp in may and you definatly would not get as big of a turn out in logan. To get that turn out you need to advertise for ages, plaster every ddr player in brisbane including the little emo crowds THEN get them down to logan in time which is horrible.

Well, not ages...

Ultimately, for PSSP, we'd need at least a month to get the old turn-out. We're helped there by all the CBD street traffic past Replay tho.

Hrm... would Troy be able to advertise through other Gametraders stores? That might help get the word out to a few more people, but might depend on the nature of their franchise setup.

But yes, getting people to Logan may be your biggest obstacle.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +15/-1
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 09:14:43 PM »
Camsta went to sydney for the Animania comp last year and won (guess who he beat...hehehehe). I heard AAG tried to raid melbourne a while back and failed XD

The american scene is 100x more active than here or even Sydneys, they can afford to run comps like that and they do, because the scene is better over there so theres more of a guarantee that itll be "profitable".

People over there are more inclined to roadtrip to tourneys in other states because of this. I mean look at the places admstyles/lilq go to. They went to Canada...CANA-frakING-DA

Getting people motivated enough to come to Logan isnt exactly easy for us, think about all the other arbitrary folk that would hear about the comp.
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +11/-6
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 01:33:18 AM »
yes but a lot of people would like a prize for free marlin. The bogans think of it as $4 they could of spent on a beer rather than entering a competition that they will probably lose

QFFT!!!!
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,
WELL WELL WELL WELL THEN !!!!! - Mr. Funhaus, trolled.

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline ChuKaBi

• Advanced
    • ChuKaBi's youtube
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 11:14:39 AM »
Ok instead I think we should have a small competition. if Kapow lets us use their ITG 2 machine then we can have a harder selection of songs. and we will only have one CF as the first place prize. The first round Songs are:
Zodiac hard(8 ft)
Delirium hard(8 ft)
Anubis hard(8 ft)
Bumblebee Expert(9 ft)
Second round songs are:
Xuxa hard(9 ft)
Tell hard(9 ft)
Driven Force Classical Hard(8 ft)
Vertex Hard(10 ft)
Third round songs are:
My Favorite Game hard(10 ft)
Energizer hard(10 ft)
While Tha Rekkid Spinz expert(9 ft)
Driven Force Classical Expert(9 ft)
And Final Round Songs are:
Charlene expert(11 ft)
Monolith ultrasecks Edit(10 ft)
Vertex^2 Hard(11 ft)
Vertex Expert(12 ft)
And so on

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +15/-1
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 03:58:45 PM »
why provide a songlist when you dont even have the comp prepared? sort of jumping the gun here
take it one step at a time, otherwise youll end up with a huge mess and no comp will actually happen :S
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »
take it one step at a time, otherwise youll end up with a huge mess and no comp will actually happen :S

QFT

This is seriously the best advice yet. It's where all comps have fallen apart over the years (even some of ours). Lots of good ideas, but very little actual planning.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline ChuKaBi

• Advanced
    • ChuKaBi's youtube
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
ok then have to admit that is good advice ;) but anyways ill talk to sum people and ill see how we go.

Offline Squidgy

• NSFW
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +6/-0
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »
Jesus Christ, almost forgot about this.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 05:35:55 PM by Squidgy »

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +11/-6
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
wait what??
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,
WELL WELL WELL WELL THEN !!!!! - Mr. Funhaus, trolled.

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos