Poll

Should Timezone Wipe The DDRX Edits? (it's all or nothing people)

Leave it, let it cycle through naturally
Wipe it all, let it repopulate naturally
Wipe it every X months (post a comment)
Wipe it all now, then reload a special selection of edits
I have a better idea! (reply to the topic and share it)

Author Topic: Timezone Albert St (Brisbane City)  (Read 164944 times)

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
Re: Replay Brisbane City
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
@everyone: what is the best time to run into John at Replay?

When he's there?

If I knew the answer, we wouldn't have so much trouble trying to organise competitions.

I would assume it would be during regular business hours, but he tends to be in and out as is required. He's got a lot of sites he needs to keep an eye on.
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +13/-0
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2008, 06:48:09 PM »
What ebe said.  Daytime is your safest bet, though, and maybe if you knew when the next new machine was being delivered you'd be able to intercept him.  You're just as likely to see him in Chermside as the city, though, and it could be the same with other stores.  I assume he's still running child care centres, too.  In my experience he's often around on Fridays and Saturdays doing something which needs to be done regularly which I won't name (and it's not involving a toilet - and by the way, never use Replay's toilet).  Can't give too much info because I really don't think posting too much about somebody's routine on the internet is a nice thing to do!

There's a contact number on the door of the booth at Replay, if you need it.  It's on a sheet of paper describing to staff what to do if something happens (but I forget what), at the bottom of the page.  Don't wait for him to ring you, he never rings people (as this IIDX person Marlin mentioned and several other people over the years (eg Kups) have discovered).

Offline Shukudai

• Replay Veteran!!
  • NSFW
  • Advanced
  • Rating: +2/-0
  • kakatte koi!
    • shuki's blog
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2008, 09:03:29 PM »
i used the replay toilet once.  the title 'Silent Hill' comes to mind.
"Be the eternal teacher who teaches with the body when young, with words when old, and by moral precept even after death." - General Choi Hung Hi, founder of the International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF)

Offline Tranceformer

• Advanced
  • Rating: +1/-0
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »
i used that toilet in 1990 when it was called Las Vegas  :D

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2008, 12:31:28 AM »
Mal told me once there's one stall that's always locked, and someone climbed into it one day, and there was a big log sitting in the bowl.

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +11/-6
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:06 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,
WELL WELL WELL WELL THEN !!!!! - Mr. Funhaus, trolled.

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Shukudai

• Replay Veteran!!
  • NSFW
  • Advanced
  • Rating: +2/-0
  • kakatte koi!
    • shuki's blog
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2008, 02:53:17 AM »
that might've been me you heard about.

it's...  rancid.
"Be the eternal teacher who teaches with the body when young, with words when old, and by moral precept even after death." - General Choi Hung Hi, founder of the International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF)

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +2/-1
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2008, 08:59:43 AM »
I used the broken cubicle too!
Quote from: B1uEM4oM4o
however tbh it just isn't good enough. you cant argue with this, players like me, dan, kevin etc. who are all a lot better than you all agree with this. we all get smeg and it's really annoying. Dan gets pad greats like crazy. I dont even bother maing there, its a waste

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +4/-7
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
...replay has a toilet?

Even though I didn't know, I'll still walk to borders next door instead.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »
It's not generally made available to the public. And with good reason. Last time I got a look in there I think part of the floor was missing...

It's a legal requirement for any workplace to have a 'working' toilet for staff. There's just nothing to say what condition it has to be in  ;D
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »
lachlan: made the application yesterday, waiting for a replay (get it xDDD)

just waiting for the news from your end regarding john.
however tbh it just isn't good enough. you cant argue with this, players like me, dan, kevin etc. who are all a lot better than you all agree with this. we all get smeg and it's really annoying. Dan gets pad greats like crazy. I dont even bother maing there, its a waste

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2008, 01:53:42 PM »
Okay. I'll make sure I get in contact with him. I want to see if we can go to his store place and check the condition of the machine.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
We should get him to just put 4th MIX Plus in the old cabinet while we wait for him to get ITG2 somehow, actually.  I'm afraid of what he'll do with our old cabinet if we don't, Eddie worked too hard to get it.  He'd murder us! :P

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
would like to get a head count of every single DDR machine in John's possession. How many would that be?

1. City SN2
2. City SN
3. Chermside EX
4. Garden City EX+
5. Browns Plains EX
6. Chermside SN2
7. Garden City SN2

Any that Im missing? He offered us the garden city machine, but in all honesty, it's in awful condition. Enough for me to confidently say "This is the WORST ddr machine in the country". I cringe when I look at it.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
That's all I'm aware of, but there's got to be at least one worse one because there was a Timezone one with a whopping great hole in one of the arrows which eventually got replaced with a piece of wood.

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »
pretty much we're looking for a "good" ddr machine, or at least an available one. We just need to get a head count of all the DDR cabinets in brisbane, so we know what we do and don't have to choose from.

Offline Tranceformer

• Advanced
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »
would like to get a head count of every single DDR machine in John's possession. How many would that be?

1. City SN2
2. City SN
3. Chermside EX
4. Garden City EX+
5. Browns Plains EX
6. Chermside SN2
7. Garden City SN2

Any that Im missing? He offered us the garden city machine, but in all honesty, it's in awful condition. Enough for me to confidently say "This is the WORST ddr machine in the country". I cringe when I look at it.

if u wanted the worst DDR machines in the country u should try Timezone Surfers Paradise.
they are in worst condition than the EX+ machine in Garden City

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
Tony, that's where the Holey DDR Cabinet ended up.

There's a few AWOL machines that aren't Replay ones that you may want to consider...

1. Solo cabinet - Garden City -> Indooroopilly Cinema -> Sunnybank Funhouse? -> ? (may still be there, dunno)
2. Sunnybank cinema -> ?
3. Funhouse Ipswich (may still be there)

It's also interesting to note that the Ex cabinet in Funhouse Tops doesn't appear to be the cabinet from other Tops.  The stage obviously isn't, and the cabinet I believe had a few indicators as well (such as the board obviously not being the Tops one, it looks like it's from Sunnybank).  Also, I don't think Tops ever had the proper marquee for Ex (nobody did), but that machine did (before it got replaced with DDR Flexman Edition's marquee).  So that could mean there's another AWOL machine there - the old Tops one, which had memory card slots also.

Easiest way to identify machines, although not 100% accurate, is by scoreboard.  Especially the Dancemania course, as nobody plays it.  Especially on double (as there's so few machines that work well enough for oni, let alone double).

I'd point out also that the Chermside EX machine was Replay's original Dancing Stage machine.  That means it's 10 years old, and it may have a few issues because of that (eg "wrong crystal"), but on the plus side, it should be 220/240V and will not require power conversion.  I don't know about the others but they're probably ex-Timezone 3rd MIX Korea ver.2's.  If you intend to replace the sensors, I doubt this will have any ill effects on it.  The power supplies may be 110/120V, which would either need replacing or a stepdown converter to use.

AWESOME TIP OF THE HOUR: The monitor port on the back of DDR cabinets runs at about 15khz (arcade monitor standard resolution refresh rate) as opposed to the standard 60khz of a PC monitor, which means lots of rolling bars, so outputting to big screen = fail.  I hear a CGA monitor works, though.

Offline Tranceformer

• Advanced
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2008, 07:55:56 PM »
Tony, that's where the Holey DDR Cabinet ended up.

There's a few AWOL machines that aren't Replay ones that you may want to consider...

1. Solo cabinet - Garden City -> Indooroopilly Cinema -> Sunnybank Funhouse? -> ? (may still be there, dunno)
2. Sunnybank cinema -> ?
3. Funhouse Ipswich (may still be there)

It's also interesting to note that the Ex cabinet in Funhouse Tops doesn't appear to be the cabinet from other Tops.  The stage obviously isn't, and the cabinet I believe had a few indicators as well (such as the board obviously not being the Tops one, it looks like it's from Sunnybank).  Also, I don't think Tops ever had the proper marquee for Ex (nobody did), but that machine did (before it got replaced with DDR Flexman Edition's marquee).  So that could mean there's another AWOL machine there - the old Tops one, which had memory card slots also.

Easiest way to identify machines, although not 100% accurate, is by scoreboard.  Especially the Dancemania course, as nobody plays it.  Especially on double (as there's so few machines that work well enough for oni, let alone double).

I'd point out also that the Chermside EX machine was Replay's original Dancing Stage machine.  That means it's 10 years old, and it may have a few issues because of that (eg "wrong crystal"), but on the plus side, it should be 220/240V and will not require power conversion.  I don't know about the others but they're probably ex-Timezone 3rd MIX Korea ver.2's.  If you intend to replace the sensors, I doubt this will have any ill effects on it.  The power supplies may be 110/120V, which would either need replacing or a stepdown converter to use.

AWESOME TIP OF THE HOUR: The monitor port on the back of DDR cabinets runs at about 15khz (arcade monitor standard resolution refresh rate) as opposed to the standard 60khz of a PC monitor, which means lots of rolling bars, so outputting to big screen = fail.  I hear a CGA monitor works, though.

ah...didn't know that

Funhouse Ipswich closed down years ago
the ddr at Sunnybank Cinema left in 2004 i think
DDR 4th Mix Plus in a solo machine at Galaxy World Garden City (ah thoses were the day) went 2 Galaxy World Haymarket b4 they got rid of it

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »
It's also interesting to note that the Ex cabinet in Funhouse Tops doesn't appear to be the cabinet from other Tops.  So that could mean there's another AWOL machine there - the old Tops one, which had memory card slots also.

We tracked that one to Gamezone Strathpine and played on it. Apparently Leslie (of old Tops) sold it for only $3000! The memory cards are still active, but JP has been turned off. We're considering that one, but Strathpine is such a pain to get to (long train ride)

Ultimarc ArcadeVGA allows this - because we're using the supplied screen in the cabinet. HOWEVER a flat screen would be MUCH more desirable, I'm not sure how this could be implemented... suggestions would be very helpful

Theres also a device called a J-PAC which allows input buttons to be created and mapped into the JAMMA. It also has a ps2 slot, so we can plug in an old keyboard!

Quote from: Tranceformer
Ipswich arcade, Sunnybank ddr, Galaxy World

Will vouch for the Ipswich arcade. Lachlan and I went there at the beginning of last year - we found an arcade near the cinema but it lacked anything substantial. Sunnybank's EX became an SN in 2006 (if this is the event you're referring to), and Galaxy World was a really large arcade (at the time), and I won myself a plastic fishing rod and a cap gun (with caps) when I went there.

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »
Galaxy World was a really large arcade (at the time), and I won myself a plastic fishing rod and a cap gun (with caps) when I went there.

Remember V J!?

What an awesome game.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »
We have the awesome machine locator too, so check that. I'm not sure how many arcades will part with there machines though. John is only selling the old garbo one (although you hate, I like ><") because he has a brand new SN2 cab there, not because he just decided he doesn't need it. A better working order machine, say Strathpine, would be 4000+ probably. Depends how much we want to spend really. Since you are coming out tonight, you'll see the what the garbo pads are like inside. As I said, the reason they are so sunken in is because the sensors are bent. Like instead of

it's like

______      _________
         -----

>>'

anyway, you'll see. I'll show you want I mean and how I think we could fix them. Given that though, the pads themselves are just plain OLD. I'm not sure if we can bring them up to ITG standard. Anthony thinks so; he's seen inside quite a lot and seems to think there isn't any internal damage like you said. We can compare them to SN2's pads anyway. Heh, w/e. What other methods are there of raising panels, other than dobule sided tape and cardboard? Ideas to raise?

Also, if PIU sensors are longer than ddr ones, how do they fit inside?

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +15/-1
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
adelaidearcadegaming would know more i think
their itg machine has piu sensors
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2008, 03:05:16 PM »

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
It's also interesting to note that the Ex cabinet in Funhouse Tops doesn't appear to be the cabinet from other Tops.  So that could mean there's another AWOL machine there - the old Tops one, which had memory card slots also.

We tracked that one to Gamezone Strathpine and played on it. Apparently Leslie (of old Tops) sold it for only $3000! The memory cards are still active, but JP has been turned off. We're considering that one, but Strathpine is such a pain to get to (long train ride)

Ultimarc ArcadeVGA allows this - because we're using the supplied screen in the cabinet. HOWEVER a flat screen would be MUCH more desirable, I'm not sure how this could be implemented... suggestions would be very helpful

Theres also a device called a J-PAC which allows input buttons to be created and mapped into the JAMMA. It also has a ps2 slot, so we can plug in an old keyboard!

Quote from: Tranceformer
Ipswich arcade, Sunnybank ddr, Galaxy World

Will vouch for the Ipswich arcade. Lachlan and I went there at the beginning of last year - we found an arcade near the cinema but it lacked anything substantial. Sunnybank's EX became an SN in 2006 (if this is the event you're referring to), and Galaxy World was a really large arcade (at the time), and I won myself a plastic fishing rod and a cap gun (with caps) when I went there.

I'd definitely consider seeing if Strathpine will sell back that DDR cab if I were you.  If I knew Les would sell it for so cheap, I would have bought it, no questions asked!  That machine always used to work nicely, even if it felt a bit small for some reason.  It's an ex-Korean one as best I remember...the memory card slots never did make sense.  It's possible I'll be there tomorrow.  If I do go, I'll give a basic check of the condition of the machine (ie no sensor tests in operator menu - just playing it).

If you're using CRTs for the screen (and I would), check if they can be tipped sideways somehow.  I remember hearing years ago putting your TV on its side was bad.  But arcade monitors are fairly easy to come by, and they come in all types and sizes.  Make sure you read up on electrical safety first.  Above all, don't touch the anode!  Even if it's unplugged!  Anode = very, very bad!

Not sure about ArcadeVGA.  I know of it.  I seem to remember it's an old product (not that that would affect things!) and back in the days when emulation still had a "scene", people would by S3 video cards to use on them.  Bigger, better cards just couldn't do all the whacky arcade resolutions and refresh rates.  I'm pretty sure ArcadeVGA things bypass the problem, though.

Already mentioned the JammaPAC converter earlier!  Like I said a while ago, your project is essentially a MAME cabinet, so if you can't find it in DDR cabinet guides, I'd be looking in those.

According to the phone book, there is a Funhouse in Ipswich just down the road from the station, in what I assume is the middle of their mall.  There's also a few other stores there.  Look under "Family Amusements", I think.

EDIT: John was in tonight, btw.  We went looking for your guys but you weren't around.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:52:35 PM by Gurt »

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2008, 10:42:34 AM »
Yeah! I flipped off a bunch of Tekken players for nothing!
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
Saw John today. Wants about $7000 for the awful excuse for a cab at garbo. I reminded him of the terrible condition, and he said he'd get the parts need to 'repair' it.

So the search continues.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »
Like I've said before, Zax have a machine for sale for $6000.  Shipping might be affordable for it, I can't remember how interstate shipping is.  I'd consider emailing and asking about the SN2 cabs too, if you'd consider $6000.  It might be only a little more for a brand-new cab.

Tempting to get a cheap Drummania cabinet after looking at that.  smeg.

(I should mention I'm pretty sure I know how to hax0r it, and I'm pretty sure I could count the number of other non-Konami peeps who could on one hand.  I might research it some more and see if I'm right!)

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »
John is a mungyopoopy

I talked to Bryce about it, and he believes that John isn't actually "selling" the machine, because no arcade in their right mind would want to buy it - even if it was repaired (which I don't think it would be, simply because it would cost far too much). Bryce reckons John is only saying that he's selling it to justify a high price (and thus trying to bait us in).

My highest hopes lie in AMF Logan. It's just a random DDR Extreme in the middle of a bowling alley that i've never seen played. Will check it out on Thursday.

Gurt, did you manage to go up to Gamezone Strathpine? I haven't been there in a while - Lachlan doesn't think they want to sell; i'm remaining optimistic.

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »
I mean that I don't think they will sell. Why would they, when they can leave it there and generate 7000+ in a few months, unless they wanted to make room for something or had a good reason to sell, they wouldn't. They won't just randomly sell it. Having said that, we may as well call and see if we can speak to the manager or something anyway, wouldn't hurt to try. I can't find the number though, they aren't listed =////