Author Topic: State of machines around Brisbane v2.5 (update 1/8/09)  (Read 63101 times)

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +4/-7
State of machines around Brisbane v2.5 (update 1/8/09)
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
Seems like a useful topic for a Brisbane based ddr forum. If we don't already have one (right?) I will try to list all the machines in Brisbane, and the condition etc. of them.

There are two machines up here.

Mix: DDR Extreme
Price:  $1 @ four songs
Condition: Both sides pretty good. Maintained well. Panels fairly high (moreso that the other machines in the city)
Comments: -There are memory cards slots. Some fun edits are saved on the machine.
                         -Life difficulty is set a 4 (was 7 previously)
                         -Fail end of stage!

Mix: DDR X2
Price: $1 @ three songs
Condition: Pretty good
Comments: The screen is a bit distorted. Glare on 2P side. JP doubles.

Mix: DDR X
Price: $1 @ four songs
Condition: The pads are pretty good, probably the best place to play at the moment, but some people like FH, they have X2 and Ex.
Comments: There is a big fan next to the machine to cool you down. Also, JP doubles. Volume loud. USB slots active.

Mix: DDR Extreme PLUS bootleg
Condition: Panels are fairly sunken in. You have to step hard in the middle of pads to register the steps. 2P is slightly better. 1P is less sensitive and more sunken.
Comments: Try not to play here. Panels are loose and make strange sounds. But you can play 20% speed which is kinda fun. Memory card slots working.

Mix: DDR Supernova 2
Condition: The pads are pretty low and insensitive but you can still kind of play.
Comments:

Mix: DDR Supernova
Condition: A bit better than TZ's Ex. Still not very sensitive, but panels are medium height The SN2 about 30m away is probably a better bet.
Comments: Old ddr machine from Replay. Has memory card slots but useless with SN.

Location - Indoorupilly shoppingtown - Funhouse

There is no longer a machine here!

Price: $2 @ four songs
Condition: 2P is more responsive than 1P. 1P tends to stick. You can't hold holds.
Comments: This machine was at Supernova this year. Also Miracle informs us that Morayfield's machine has started freezing up mid-game. Again.

Condition: 1P is not very good. 2P is fairly alright good (as of 1st August 09)
Comments: Has memory card slots. This machine used to be at tops before it became Funhouse.

Price: $1 @ three songs
Condition: Excellent - all 4 sensors on all 8 panels work, no sticking sensors.
Comments: This is now receiving weekly maintenance and should not deteriorate for quite some time (!)

Two machines here too.

Edit: probably not anymore, update someone?

Price: $2 @ three songs
Condition: Brand new, like all of Replay's other SN2 cabs. Very good.
Comments: Joel/E-lix inform us the pads are very good.

Condition: Both sides are pretty sensitive and playable.
Comments: Expensive. You should walk 100m to Kapow to play ITG! (go!)

Mix: In the Groove 2 - R21 (upgradicab)
Price: $2 @ four rounds
Condition: 2P is ok. 1P is pretty ok, inside sensor for up and down do not work and need replacing (eg: do not respond individually - tested around May. Perhaps they have been rotated/replaced?)
Comments: Brisbane's only location to play ITG2.
Comments: Apparently pads are getting a major overhaul soon. (sometime in the next few weeks) according to the owner. This probably means new sensors? If this actaully happened the pads are probably good, but until someone goes and plays we will leave it like this.
Comments: Both USB hubs usually work. Sometimes if you put in two USBs one won't read properly.
Comments: For some reason, the machine does not display green, and thus all the 16 notes are almost the same colour as the 4th's. Also, the screen is a bit darker now, for some reason. Harder to see.

Mix: DDR MAX2
Condition: Pads were ok over about three months ago when I played them.  
Comments: If you are at Dreamworld you should go on the rides instead of play ddr!

Mix: DDR Supernova (unpatched)
Price $2 @ three songs
Condition: Pads aren't that sensitive but you can still play them. 1P is better than 2P.
Comments: This arcade is really big and has bumper cars.

They also have an ITG2 upgrade.

Mix: ITG1
Price $1.50 @ three rounds
Condition: Pads are bad as of three or four months ago. Good for about 9 block songs, maybe some 10 block. USB slots to save your scores. Not customs in ITG1.
Comments: This arcade is really big and has bumper cars and Mario Kart GP.

Mix: In The Groove OpenITG
Price Ask Chino, he might let you play his machine for free! The coinslot doesn't do anything!
Condition: Pads are very sensitive and raised and always in good condition, since they are not played as heavily as public pads, obviously. Feel kind of different to arcade, since they are solo pads, as opposed to doubles mix pads.
Comments: Lots of custom songs and themes.

There are NO cabs on the Sunshine coast.Apparently there is a 4thmix actually, someone go play and tell us about it. Info plox.

Feel free to leave info or corrections! Last edited 3/8/09.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:22:55 AM by SAN »

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
Re: State of machines around Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:59:29 PM »
Well we do have individual threads for Funhouse and Replay in the city where we discuss the machines, but I guess there's no harm in this thread.

Thanks for posting. How about a post over here to let us know a bit about yourself?
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +13/-0
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:31:38 AM »
Nice post, I'll add a bit to it...

I'd say the 1P side in Funhouse City SN2 isn't too good.  It's noticbly worse if you play double, for example.  And the screen is rather messed up looking...poor CRT alignment or something.

I think the difficulty on the other machine at Funhouse is a bit higher than 5, but definitely not 8.  I'm pretty sure Funhouse borrow from the Timezone book of DDR by setting the difficulty on something pointlessly high on all their machines...which wouldn't be so bad if the machines were 100% working.  And you didn't directly say, but the second machine here has memory card slots, it's DDREX (not that 'Plus' bootleg), has a really nice screen, and...I haven't actually tried it since it returned.  From observation, the SN2 machine is on a lower difficulty than the EX machine.

The second, older machine in Replay City (the old DDR3rd) has pointless memory card slots, the monitor is dark and blurry (but satisfactory), and the 1P side has dodgy panels.  Although these were fixed on Friday, I tried double immediately after and there was definitely something wrong...the up arrow and the left arrow are the ones I suspect.  The 2P side isn't perfect, but it works - it might be an idea not to try challenge mode though.  No JGP.

The new SN2 machine in Replay City has some songs unlocked (from SN1 PS2 version, Jap).  No JGP, obviously.

Last I checked - a few months ago, after Funhouse City opened but before SN2 was in Replay - Indro still had DDREX Plus (bootleg).  Last I played it - which was years ago - it was on the standard high Funhouse difficulty, the 1P side didn't work well at all (eg you would fail challenge mode painfully), and the right side was too close to a wall, in typical Indooroopilly style (I'm thinking of ye olde DDR Solo cabinet up against the corner of the cinema here).  The 2P side worked fine, though.  No idea on price, but there's no competition in the area - expect full price, no JGP.

Logan Hyperdome has ITG2 at Kapow!, in the food court area across from Sumo Salad, Subway and Red Rooster (next to the toilets).  $2/4 stages/JGP.  It has r21 installed, so custom songs are possible via USB.  The monitor has no green colour which interferes with gameplay slightly (for example, you can't read scores if they're in green).  The stage is almost perfect, but it's a bit slippy and it does occasionally miss - but very occasionally, and far better than most DDR cabs.

Morayfield - Intensity has a DDREX cabinet.  This cabinet is the one that was at Supanova this year and some previous years.  Average condition machine, AFAIK.

SN2 machines also apparently exist at Browns Plains, Chermside and any other place with a Replay.  There are presumed to be still cabinets at Timezone on the Gold Coast - I'm not sure about Pacific Fair.  Toombul's old Pop'n Stage cabinet is AWOL currently, but that's not DDR, technically.

There are no cabinets on the Sunshine Coast.  There is an arcade near Underwater World which I think is sitll in operation, though.  I heard Replay's old Beatmania cabinet went to Redbank and there used to be a DDR machine at Ipswich, so there's probably a DDR floating between the two somewhere...

EDIT: We already have a list!  Granted, it's from 2001 and is completely out of date, but... http://www.geocities.jp/edwardrtf/2007/indexenter.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:38:34 AM by Gurt »

Offline Ghostling

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +2/-0
  • "I'm worse than evil. I'm the author."
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:37:07 PM »
I miss Pop'n'stage... that was the machine I started out on. Good times XD! Morayfield machine will occasionally play ok, otherwise it can be hellish. At Supanova, two of the arrows on 1p literally did not work at all. Also, I'm 90% sure that one Funhouse machine is still set on 7. I know it started out on 8, but people whinged and I was actually there when they turned it down within a week of opening.
'A single woman will meet 6000 men in her life. 2/3 of these will be too old or too young. Of those remaining, 39% will be married, 18% gay, 11% have unacceptable haircuts, 3% will be overcompensating, and 17% will just be tools.' - Add

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +2/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
Some hardish edits are saved into machine.

>_>"

EDIT: Sn2 @ Replay CITY $2/4songs (upped from $2/3).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:45:25 AM by Averze »
Quote from: B1uEM4oM4o
however tbh it just isn't good enough. you cant argue with this, players like me, dan, kevin etc. who are all a lot better than you all agree with this. we all get smeg and it's really annoying. Dan gets pad greats like crazy. I dont even bother maing there, its a waste

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:29:39 AM »
Fix'd

*abuses powers some more*
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
How about turning the OP into a straight-out list of the machines and their condition? Can go something like:

Condition
Comments

But not to the detriment of the posters' original post (dont want to ruin all their effort for nothing v_v)
however tbh it just isn't good enough. you cant argue with this, players like me, dan, kevin etc. who are all a lot better than you all agree with this. we all get smeg and it's really annoying. Dan gets pad greats like crazy. I dont even bother maing there, its a waste

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »
If we can keep it a fairly factual list of details, rather than personal opinion, I'd be happy to sticky the topic as well for reference.

B1uEM4oM4o (you couldn't come up with a better nick?) - I'll leave it to you to update the OP. Good work, but consise list is better for reference.

Would also be good if people reading this thread could make an effort to update the list on DDR Freak. People still use that site for Aus occasionally, and the updates I made have been awaiting approval for months :)
Plus we can't make further edits until the current edits are approved.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
B1ueM4oM4o

it gets easier the more you type it =]

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
Re: State of machines around Brisbane v2
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 06:03:58 PM »
Bit update. Especially on setting out. Hopefully it's more user friendly.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »
All good from my POV.

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
Thanks.

Updated! Forgot the dreamworld arcade's machine.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
B1ueM4oM4o

it gets easier the more you type it =]

Cut&Paste is a beautiful thing ;D

Great work on the post!
Although I'd use a little less underlining. But then I'm a format nazi. Ask anyone who's worked for me.  ;)
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 09:41:02 AM »
Errata:

SN @ Replay Brisbane City $1/3 songs

DDR Extreme PLUS @ Indooroopilly $1/3 songs

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
1 other important thing to note about Replay's SN cab atm is that the platform is not properly bolted together or anchored, meaning if you play on 2P side, and put any amoun of weight into a sideways run or jump, the platform will separate and move to the side. This is highly dangerous and has been reported to staff, but they don't have the bolts needed to bolt the platform together properly :/

Plus I don't think the stands that are used to anchor the plat form to the floor have worked properly in years. I remember Shane complaining he couldn't get them to go down any further.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »
Replay's staff change so quickly that they would either "i'm new and don't know anything" or "i'm not senior enough" to do anything about it.

I might have noticed something about this structural problem in the machine at some stage but never took any actual note of it since I only play singles.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 06:32:08 PM »
1 other important thing to note about Replay's SN cab atm is that the platform is not properly bolted together or anchored, meaning if you play on 2P side, and put any amoun of weight into a sideways run or jump, the platform will separate and move to the side. This is highly dangerous and has been reported to staff, but they don't have the bolts needed to bolt the platform together properly :/

Plus I don't think the stands that are used to anchor the plat form to the floor have worked properly in years. I remember Shane complaining he couldn't get them to go down any further.

Yeah, I found it virtually impossible to play anything 8 foot or higher on that thing.  In the end I decided it was more fun to stand on the right side and rock it back and forth for half an hour.

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »
Errata:

Why do you know that ._.

updated again =]

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
Replay's staff change so quickly that they would either "i'm new and don't know anything" or "i'm not senior enough" to do anything about it.

I might have noticed something about this structural problem in the machine at some stage but never took any actual note of it since I only play singles.

I am playing singles?

I assume I have more weight to throw around tho.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 09:22:42 AM »
Errata:

Why do you know that ._.

updated again =]

Errata: Replay only has one machine now.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »
Although we're being told they will return it as soon as they figure out which other Mix they want to put in the cabinet.

Hopefully they're also realised how unsafe it is and will fix the structural issues with the platform (I doubt too much effort will go into the pads themselves).
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Miracle

• Useless Dave
  • NSFW
  • Advanced
  • Rating: +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
EDIT: morayfield machine -- left arrow on right pads starting to stick.

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 10:07:01 AM »
Machine update:

DDR Extreme @ Funhouse Tops; left arrow P1 side does NOT hold holds. I repeat. Does NOT hold holds.... very well...

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 06:23:20 PM »
Are we talking about for fatties or for beanpoles?  Us beanies have difficulties holding freeze arrows at the best of times.

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +15/-1
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »

Price: $2 @ three sons
Condition: Both sides are pretty sensitive and playable.
Comments: Expensive. You should walk 100m to Kapow to play ITG!
last i tried you can use kapow tokens in that machine
its only 2 tokens, so if you use kapows, its basically $1 a game
plus it has mem slots
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline Y3LLoWM4oM4o

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »
Price: $2 @ three sons

I wouldn't pay $2 for three sons

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +15/-1
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
ahh, what youre forgetting to mention is that each token in the bowling alley costs $1, and the machine needs $2
since you can use any tokens (from the last time i tried) you can get kapow tokens which are 50c each, use two of those

hence $1 a game

but this was judging from the last time i went into that bowling alley, things may have changed
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
funhouse's SN2 is now $1/4 stages.

Offline risk zero

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +7/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 10:01:48 PM »
Oh nice, if only he didn't cheap out on buying a new machine though =[

Offline Ghostling

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +2/-0
  • "I'm worse than evil. I'm the author."
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 10:37:34 PM »
It was playing pretty nicely this afternoon. *shrugs*
'A single woman will meet 6000 men in her life. 2/3 of these will be too old or too young. Of those remaining, 39% will be married, 18% gay, 11% have unacceptable haircuts, 3% will be overcompensating, and 17% will just be tools.' - Add