Author Topic: The Vidya  (Read 70970 times)

Offline Squidgy

• NSFW
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +6/-0
The Vidya
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:45:13 PM »
Ever wanted to control an aspect of someone elses life in any way you see fit? Well now's your chance! ITT you help me make a decision I'm torn between.

Currently have a raging boner for Vanillaware games, and I'm thinking of buying GrimGrimoire and Odin Sphere. Worth getting? Will I need to buy an NTSC PS2? Are these games as good as people make them out to be? Fill the gaping void in my life you ravening pack of insolent curs!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:50:47 PM by Squidgy »

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +11/-6
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
Re: Decide Squidgy's fate!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »
Odin Sphere is okay, if you like playing RBO.

Forgo these games and wait for Persona 3 FES to come out, alternatively nab yourself a copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call, they will consume your soul.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,
WELL WELL WELL WELL THEN !!!!! - Mr. Funhaus, trolled.

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »
In retrospect, I was disappointed in this thread, I was hoping I could have a say in banning you.

:(
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +13/-0
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Odin Sphere's a sequel to Princess Crown, isn't it?  I'd probably track that down on Saturn, it looks like a fun game (I'd check EP for you buy it's down at the mo).  Apparently there's a crappy PSP port of that, too - that might be easier to find, and cheaper, if you intend on buying it (Saturn game prices are BS compared to PSX game prices).

Personally I've never heard anyone make anything about those games, but Carlos is right, even the people who bitch about JRPGs constantly rave about Persona 3 and particularly, Persona 3 FES.  I don't get it - I was intending to start playing it tonight to find out, actually.

Wikipedia says the PAL version of Odin Sphere improves loading times and lag and stuff like that, and since Wikipedia is always right, I'd probably add that I think JB stores frequently stock that game - I think.

EDIT:  Hahaha, my name is Boris Norris.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:41:40 PM by Gurt »

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »
Well Persona 3 is basically epic JRPG meets Japanese Dating Sim, FES expands on that like FFXII International Zodiac Job System did.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
It's the best game ever just because there's an attack called "Bufu".

EDIT2:  YOU HAVE WELCOMED PIXIE INTO YOUR HEART

EDIT3:  I think I'm bored of it already, it's like a confusing RPG combined with a dating sim that doesn't have pr0n in it.  Think I'll play some IIDX Gold, I feel a GOLD RUSH coming on!  Too many PS2 RPGs I need to play aside from this...there's still Ys VI, the Tales of games, some others I forgotten the names of...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:31:19 PM by Gurt »

Offline Squidgy

• NSFW
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:06:26 AM »
Yeah, I have been thinking about getting Persona 3, that game has been looking mighty sweet and tempting ever since its release. As for Shim Megami, it never quite hooked me: Ironically it reminded me way too much of pokemon for my own liking.

As a person who loved RBO and other action RPGs of its caliber, I'm sure Odin Sphere will make an excellent addition to the somewhat lean collection of PS2 games I have.

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »
Gurt, you're making a mistake.

Squidgy, Persona 3 IS Shin Megami Tensei...
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline E-lix

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +8/-1
  • i have no reason i just... Need to
    • Dr Retro
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
to actually answer another part of your question, odin sphere is out ere no need to mod
Brisbemani, moar liek brisgay amirite!?

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »
to actually answer another part of your question, odin sphere is out ere no need to mod

Wikipedia says the PAL version of Odin Sphere improves loading times and lag and stuff like that, and since Wikipedia is always right, I'd probably add that I think JB stores frequently stock that game - I think.

:P

Gurt, you're making a mistake.

I'll play it again, just I'm expecting a DS flash card anyway.

Offline Squidgy

• NSFW
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 05:15:43 PM »
So, I've only just started playing Odin Sphere. First, let me mention the spritework. The spritework here is FAAAAAAABULOUS. The sprite animations, there's no tearing of animations, and the level of quality and detail is stunning. Truly unique.

As for the gameplay, I'm still getting used to it; at times it even feels contradictory. They throw masses of enemies at you, and yet they limit the number of attacks you can do in a given time with the power meter which goes down as you attack, and when it eventually reaches zero, you can't do anything for a period of time. Most of the actions you perform are in realtime. The game rewards you for killing enemies quickly upon spawn, and you get a huge time bonus for wiping out the enemies as efficiently as possible, and yet in order to play strategically you need to take a lot of time out to set up enemies for rad combos.  If you want to DEFEND, you have to hold down the ATTACK button. Riiiiiight.....

I'm sure once I get used to the subtle naunces of the game that it will ultimately prove fulfilling, and the storyline is certainly engaging. I can see myself playing this to the end, and yet...and yet....there's still something amiss here. Its like building a clock and having it work perfectly, and realizing you still have a spare cog left over. I can't quite explain it. Watch this space as I make progress through the game.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »
Haha, from the main page the topic is shortened to " Re: Decide Squidgy's fat..." - that's awesome.

At the moment I'm playing through Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin still.  I also got my DS flash cart finally, so I've tried a few other things, like the Taiko games on DS, which are goddamn awesome.  I mean, I can dress up a drum as a panda or an elephant or a dog!  And I got it a fake moustache!  Even if it's lacking in songs (if you're not an anime tard), it's still quite fun...well, both of them are.

I also got Saints Row 2 yesterday from EB, because they jumped the release date for some reason.  It's pretty good.  My dude is a obese canaryney pedo bogan (complete with stained navy blue singlet, trackpants and dirty Dunlop Volleys).  It's hard not to like a game where you can kick hobos in the nuts at full pelt, throw bitches off jetties, park motorcycles horizontally on walls, or play as a obese canaryney pedo bogan.  It also has co-op, which I'm looking forward to trying - but probably everyone will buy it on 360 just to smeg me.  I mean, I probably prefer GTAIV so far...but I'm still getting used to this game.  It's really just a weird, big game at the moment, like San Andreas was at first...and I didn't like SA at first, either.  And it's probably still my fave GTA just because of the depth.  My expectation is that by the end of the week I'll be pissing out caffeine from staying up all night playing SR2.

EDIT: Pedo = combover and sneer.

EDIT2: The radio has The Reflex on it.

EDIT3: Mankini.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:30:35 PM by Gurt »

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:49:47 AM »
Soooo...it's better than GTA4!>? I'md runk
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 06:33:26 AM »
Probably.  I haven't really started the missions yet and there's still plenty to do.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
That's what a lot of people are saying. GTAIV was good, but SR2 is fun.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I assume I will when it's cheap. Got too much coming out over the next month to buy games I don't really want, although the more people talk about it the more I do want it :(
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 04:09:52 PM »
Haw, it censored cawkney into "canaryney", haw.

Having played it for a few days now, I can safely say my assumption was right, except replace caffeine with alcohol.  Goddamn, this is the best "not quite sure if I should buy it" game I've bought in years, if not ever!  It will ultimately get boring like GTA4 does, but I can safely say now I would prefer it over GTA4.  Aside from the fact the story is more interesting, I didn't even start the story until last night because there's so many "diversions" you can do, such as streaking, flashing, base jumping...then stuff from the original (which I never played) like insurance fraud and rampage.  Insurance fraud is goddamn awesome.  Basically the aim is to take dives in front of cars to get insurance money.  The fun is in the way you do it: The most profitable and most fun way is to go onto a freeway (bailing out of a moving car, of course, to get more money!), then running at a big rig, jumping, then diving (yes, those are two different actions - you have a 'take a dive' button, but you can still jump).  This typically scoops you up on the hood and if you can control your character properly, you can somewhat easily hit the car in the next lane or in front/behind the truck, giving you a quite large bonus.  Then you can bounce back to the first car, and so on...getting harder each time.  Or you could just throw yourself under the big rig, get hit by all the tyres, and make an easy $10k which is useful for the second point: Adrenaline!  When your adrenaline bar fills up (by getting hit!), you can get major air and you can control where you go a lot more.  I'm gonna put up a Youtube video of this later.

Doing this can unlock you unlimited sprinting too, which makes streaking a lot easier.  I needn't tell you how fun streaking is, but I do need to tell you how hilarious it is watching a naked Fat Bastard clone getting tased down some stairs for streaking.  I recommend the mall for streaking!

Oh yeah, the story?  While it relies heavily on the first game (which I haven't played), it's still enjoyable and I'd say its greatest virtue is it doesn't try to copy the GTA series.  It often tells the story in cutscenes where the rival gangs are talking about how you're borking up their plans, in an awesome 80s movie/kids cartoon sorta way.  This sounds risky, but it works - the characters get a little more depth, and there's none of the typical GTA/Driver/Streets style "pretend you're on their side" stuff which is the cliche plot device for the genre to tell the same thing.

Flaws are it's incredibly buggy (disappearing cars, disappearing pedestrians, teleporting pedestrians, falling into a bridge in a mission, parking bikes on walls at 90°, sound disappears in some circumstances), the generic character dialogue, humour and counterculturalism is too similar to GTA's (although just barely; it's just a little uncomforting) and I've heard of freezing on the 360.  Also to nitpick, I heard the special vehicle codes included at Gamestops in the US (which are also included if you register your product online here) weren't counted as cheats; they are, so my file says I've cheated now.

Overall, unless you're obsessed with GTA or absolutely hate it, this is going to be better than GTA4 for you.  It's more of a successor to San Andreas than GTA4 is.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »
THREAD HIJACKED

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is out (overseas, not here unless you import).  I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with it.  Too much like Circle of the Moon, which I didn't like.  The plot seems suspiciously familiar, same era, same goddamn enemy sprites AGAIN (c'mon Konami, stop doing a Capcom and redraw your goddamn skeletons, javelin knights and medusa heads!  They're 14 years old for crying out loud!), and the difficulty level is ludicrous so be prepared to spend heaps of time grinding on low-level monsters.  I mean, seriously:  The first boss isn't THAT hard (not as easy as normal, mind - requires strategy - I died first try) but the second boss is BS.  He's Castlevania's second-biggest asshole (in terms of size).  Pattern learning required, as getting hit does ~30 dmg to you at level 10 (which takes about two hours to reach, because enemies give up to at most 10exp each prior to this boss, you require over 1000exp to hit lv10, then suddenly there's an enemy that gives 100 in the next room!), you can choose between a sword that does about 10 damage or a hammer that does about 20 but is a hammer...or throw daggers for a whopping 4 dmg each.  Yup.  Did I mention the boss is big?  That means big limbs.  That means getting close = getting owned.  Unless you feel like grinding for four hours.  Did I mention that the low level monsters still could easily kill you?  You know you're in for a painful time when the first skeleton you meet takes off a large chunk of health, and the second screen is low contrast with low contrast bats flying out randomly on it.

I forgot to mention the second boss is right near the start of an area and there's no save point immediately before or after it.  You could backtrack safely, but it's time-consuming.  Like grinding.

Yup, it should be called Circle of the Moon 2: Further Suckery.

Worth buying because Castlevania games appreciate in value anyway and I am REALLY hoping it gets better.

EDIT:  Third boss = screw this, I'm going back to Saints Row 2.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:05:54 PM by Gurt »

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 08:59:20 PM »
Which one was Circle? Was that the one where you collected cards?
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 07:13:46 AM »
Yeah, that one, except now replace cards with glyphs.  I mean, it's a bit better, but why the hell did they make weapons glyphs as well?  And using a sword takes up MP, for crying out loud!  Quite annoying in a boss fight when you run out of MP and have to wait for it to heal (not that long a wait, but it happens quite often).

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 08:36:35 AM »
Ugh, that sounds nasty, will probably still play it though.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Squidgy

• NSFW
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
Holy frak, that sounds like AIDS. Is there anything better out there than portrait of ruin and dawn of sorrow then?

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:45 AM »
Oh smeg, didn't mention that I ended up buying Saints Row 2 after all. Everything that was good about GTA ramped up, with the need to be 'a real game' removed. Hours of fun to be had. Great buy.
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline risk zero

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +7/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 12:18:17 PM »
Disagree with everything Gurt says about Ecclesia, except for the part of it being harder than previous titles, just means all the kiddies have to get some skills, fkn loving it

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
Good to get all sides of the story, consider it purchased.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 06:14:39 PM »
It's getting a bit better now, but I still don't like it anywhere near as much as SOTN, AoS, DoS or PoR.  Better than the other two GBA ones, though.  The beginning of it is just goddamn stupid, really.  I can't get over the fact that there's nothing that gives you more than 10 exp before the second boss and the third boss, while having a easy pattern, has a lot that can go wrong just because using the default controls you're fiddling with B to jump, R trigger and either X or Y to attack, and the timing required is too tight.  What I find stupid is that people say it's as hard as SOTN - since when was SOTN hard?  It's pretty average up until you can get the iron knuckles or whatever, then it's pretty straightforward until near endgame when you can just Crissaegrim the smeg out of anything.  It's harder than Circle of the Moon, too - which is pretty hard.

I don't think it has much to do with skill, the patterns for the bosses are pretty basic.  It's just grinding.  First attempt at second boss at about lv06 or so resulted in SFA damage.  Once you get later in the game and you can kill the tin man enemy (which appears much earlier in the game) and get silver and gold ore, and you get some platinum gear (and plenty of levels in the process), the game becomes broken because you take 1-7 damage from everything until at least halfway through the game.

PoR was hard, but it was nice hard.  And the game was more fun.  OoE is annoying because enemies just don't drop anything, and if they do, it's something dumb like a zircon.  Most don't drop cool glyphs, most don't drop equipables, most don't even drop usable items.  They drop items you need for quests.  Or nothing.  So basically, while grinding, you're getting exp, maybe some items worth 20 gold each like iron ore that you can use for one quest once, and that's it.  Or alternatively, nothing but gold (oh yeah, you get Gold Rings early in the game plus a glyph that increases gold drop rate, so when combined you'll get sick of seeing 1000G bags in no time, not that there's anything worth spending it on in this game!)

There's now been quite a few new enemies that I've seen, but probably 50% are stolen from SOTN (eg Tin Man, Scarecrow, Octopus) and 25% are anthromorphic (Lizardman, Werecat, talking spiders, etc).  A few are really cool, but I can't remember them.  I've also found virtually every boss room since the third boss has had a save point right before it, and the bosses have been considerably easier.

Also worth pointing out is that the third boss is a giant enemy crab, and that Konami addressed people's complaints about PoR having smegty characters (ie prototypical angsty male and magical girl with no character development) by making your character an amnesiac, with no emotions or personality, who looks exactly like Shiki right down to the tattoos.  Oh, and your rival is a prototypical angsty male.  Yup.  frak you, Konami!  frak you and your stupid asses with canarys!  Why don't you just piss on us further and include yet ANOTHER bloody Richter mode?  PS: WRITE AN ORIGINAL PLOT FOR ONCE.  Here's a free one: Someone is sexually attracted to Dracula and wants to revive him.  INFINITELY BETTER THAN YOUR CRAP, KONAMI.

I stand by my comments.  If you like grinding, then hell yeah, it's a good game.  Again, buy it for collector's value maybe, but otherwise, definitely try before you buy.  I hear it runs in NO$GBA.

And yes, Saints Row 2 is sexy dynamite.  All this hiphop, gangsta-style advertising, labelling and so on that the game has got is inexplicably misleading and offputting.  After the title scene, the game has basically nothing to do with hiphop, gangsta-style things unless you make a black guy with heaps of bling who listens to hiphop on the car radio, and maybe dress your gang appropriately and give them bling cars.  Myself, I have a white fat British man with a comb over, who listens to 80s/easy listening/classical music in the car, and my gang is ninjas who drive around in Stingrays.  I just know people will avoid the game because they think it's going to be all that stuff I said already, and it's a real shame.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:23:24 PM by Gurt »

Offline Squidgy

• NSFW
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »
http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-video-review-saints-row-2-108690.phtml

HOLY smeg

BEST SAINTS ROW 2 REVIEW EVER

LINK VERY frakING RELATED

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »
I have to admit the abortion kick is awesome fun, but you can have infinitely more fun by recruiting 3 followers then doing one/all of the following:

1. Jump out of a medical helicopter without using parachutes (after you've unlocked the infinite fall distance from Base Jumping)
2. Stand on the runway at the airport and shoot each plane that comes along once, and watch it swerve and explode into a building
3. Taunt a group of people until they attack you so your followers attack them
4. Tase somebody so your followers attack them
5. Go on a parking garage's roof, find the nearest ramp, walk along the edge of the ramp, and watch as your followers stupidly fall off, go "WAUUUUUUUU-OOF!" then die
6. Get a police car (cos they're four-seater and fast), find a petrol station, ram the bowsers at full speed, then see where you land (and you won't die!).
7. As above, but jump out at the apex.  When your followers die, count how many are sticking out of the ground.
8. As above, but do it at the one north of the university, and ram the northernernmost bowsers instead of the southern ones, but from the south. Try to land on the mountain.
9. Go streaking with the followers in tow so if anyone attacks you they get pwnd.
10. Lure them into fire.
11. Shoot at any passing car once, and watch as they unload all their weapons into the same car.  See if they can actually blow it up (they rarely do I admit).

It's awesome when one of your followers has the pepper spray, because while everybody else is ripping out baseball bats and knives, they rip out pepper spray, kneel and start spraying.

Followers are the best thing in the game because they die so often from the most stupid ways, and because they yell out amazingly hilarious things like "Say uncle, bitchfrak!", "You ride your car harder than I ride my 'ho!", "I'm an ass-kicking, cop-killing frak machine!" and "While you're down there, why don't you suck my dick?"  They also make the missions much easier.  And you can dress them up as ninjas (and why wouldn't you?)

Also my guy sings along when The Final Countdown comes on, and he's hilariously off-key.

I still need to put my YouTube video up.  It pwns that video, and I admit that video is pretty good.

EDIT: Think I'll make a new one and add some of that stuff I mentioned, as I made the old one about a week ago!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:13:27 PM by Gurt »

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 04:24:09 AM »
[youtube]GyHypEhSzM[/youtube]

This is the second video, the first one is still being finished.  Go figure.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 09:36:09 AM »
#Invalid YouTube Link#

That's weird...
Team Ranking Task-Force

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »
YouTube is being a bitch.  I don't know whether it deleted it or I deleted it, but it needs re-uploading.  The file was about 80mb and it took forever to post-process by YouTube - I ended up with a video about 4mins long instead of about 9.