Linked Events

• Bemanipalooza!: February 05, 2010 - February 09, 2010

Author Topic: Bemanipalooza! - Melbourne '10  (Read 70973 times)

Offline PrincessPeach1337

• Advanced
  • Rating: +3/-0
Bemanipalooza! - Melbourne '10
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:09:08 AM »
"Hi guys,

Dunno whether anyone here will give a smeg but I've been in kahootz with Gurty up in Brisbane of late discussing the possibility of having a nation-wide DDR meet for players from the "golden age" of music gaming down under. We're thinking of using Melbourne as our meeting point, and basically renting a serviced apartment for a few days to house us all. We've discussed having an old-style console party as the main event (so...plenty of Doritos and challenge mode games of DDR!) as well as a few group outings to Box Hill and the Houses for a few smegs-and-giggly type freestyle and for-srs comps. I'm not sure exactly when would be good for this but I've been hinting at getting everyone to take a few sickies and make a hyper-extended long weekend for Australia Day. I'm probably going to drive over on account of me wanting to be a hippie and take it easy and go via the Great Ocean Road. (I can also bring stuff for the console party this way)

Anyway yeah, there's some food for thought. Is anyone into it? I'm going to post this around in the Sydney forums too and see if any of the oldies there are into it, and probably make the main discussion happen in the RTF Australia boards. If there's enough demand, I might even start up a Facebook group for oldies.

It's great that everyone's evolved and moved on, but you should never forget your roots."

- Copypasta from AAG.com and those Sydney boards

So...what does everyone think? :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:08:11 PM by EBE@RTF »

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +13/-0
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
Re: Oldschool DDR Meet - Melbourne '10
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »
I've spoken to a few people about this already.  Point form:

1. I'm down if I can be...you know, work and stuff.  Should be OK, but I'll wait to see other people's availability before I book it, in case I find out we have to reschedule.
2. If it isn't clear that's a copypasta from a post that she wrote, not a third-party.
3. We haven't spoken to An about this yet I don't think...just sayin'.
4. I agree with everything said, stuff is good.  Keep in mind it doesn't matter if Melbourne has smeg DDR machines; it's a good, central location with plenty of Bemani games, that's why we chose it.  It's not about seeing who's the best or whatever, I doubt anyone cares, it's more that we couldn't really have a meetup without DDR, y'know.
5. Technika.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:49:16 AM by Gurt »

Offline Ghostling

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +2/-0
  • "I'm worse than evil. I'm the author."
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »
Provided I can save up in time, I'm in. If only that wasnt so iffy...
'A single woman will meet 6000 men in her life. 2/3 of these will be too old or too young. Of those remaining, 39% will be married, 18% gay, 11% have unacceptable haircuts, 3% will be overcompensating, and 17% will just be tools.' - Add

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »
Costs shared X ways should be minimal, speaking from experience.  To throw a random example in the air:  Five people in an apartment for $200 a night, $42 a night.  Now $200 a night is expensive, and we may have six or seven, who knows?  I am assuming at this stage we would have to have at least two apartments...but they might not fit many people, so...I dunno, last time I went to Melb I had to share a one bed, one fold-out couch apartment with Shane, Glenn and their friend Gary, and I had to construct an anti-gay barrier on my couch so nothing suss happened like rolling over in the night and putting an arm over victim #1.  It worked out fine.

Lemme put it another way:  If you can, save $1000, and that will cover absolutely everything I am fairly sure.  And by "fairly sure", I include impulse buying and excess food which you share with others.  It's actually probably quite possible to do it on less than $500.  Options you have if you are cheap:

1. Fly down on Tiger instead of Virgin or Qantas.  You arrive at the same airport, albeit in a tin shed and 100m down the road from the other terminals.  The catch is they don't leave from Brisbane; just Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore).
2. Coach.  Eww.
3. You could be a tight-ass and stay at a backpacker.  I wouldn't recommend the Formule 1 in the city though because their showers were kinda...doorless.  And in the main room.  And the top bunk was RIGHT under the aircon.
4. I honestly would be surprised if others weren't willing to be forgiving or generous financially.
5. Lodge with a Melbournite.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:59:02 AM by Gurt »

Offline E-lix

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +8/-1
  • i have no reason i just... Need to
    • Dr Retro
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:21:02 AM »
I'm totally on this smeg would be great to catch up with some of the melbourne crew, and hell some of the older people i don't know. If ths is to happen it might be worth finding a place that has a few appartments and if say some sydney, adelaide people wanna come too then we can book like 6 apparements as bulk is always cheaper.

my only concerns are how long will we do this for and confirming numbers. As soon as this is finalised then its ready to go and a matter of finding a suitable venue.

Regards to a console party,might be worth asking a melbourne player to find a hall or something we could rent over night. if a lot of us are gonna come in from out of state the main issues will be getting TV's there. we cna bring consoles on planes but tv's are much harder ( might be able to bring small lcd's but probably get damaged).

I'll do a bit of research today and see about flights and accomedation around the proposed time frame, i think the tart of feb might be better as all schools are back so it would be off peak season.

Also said to say if i come i would ave tobring the family so probably have to have our own room but i'll try to work it so i either have a room in the same establishment or not bring them. ( hopefully she wont mind for a few days )
Brisbemani, moar liek brisgay amirite!?

Offline risk zero

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +7/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:17 AM »
Oh drinking for a whole week again, while eating at Cbar and playing DDR/IIDX? =D

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »
I've mentioned the TVs thing and that's where her idea of driving down came from.  You get one with the room anyway at least, although sometimes they have no inputs (!).

I remember once when I went to the SC with the ex, we stayed at this lovely faux-resort thing where all the housing was ground level, and the place we had was actually two storey.  It was massive, but because there were so many of us, it wasn't expensive.  Perhaps something like that is an option.  If not, I stayed in some serviced apartments in Carlton last time (the ones with the anti-gay barrier) which might be a bit too small but are in an excellent location - maybe something in that area.

The problem with Feb is we're all back at work as well.  I expect work to be a bit too crazy to be available myself then.  With the end of Jan people are coming back rather than arriving, so accomodation will be much better.  If anything people head north or to beaches at that time of year so it'll work in our favour.

Re: TVs, maybe rental is an option.  The catch as we have discussed recently is car rentals.  You have to be over 25 to rent one.  I'm over 25 but I don't have a licence. (I lost it.  At the pharmacy at Ipswich when we went to check out DDR cabs there.)  Either we drive there (LOL) or we bash up old people.  Is Growly over 25 yet?

I think the great thing about this is practically everyone knows everyone already, and even those of us who don't like Shannon are social enough to fit right in.  I'm also sure it'll be culture clash at its best...speaking of which, I wonder if any NZers want in? :P

EDIT:  Yeah Geoff, that's kind of what I meant by culture clash :P different groups do different things together, but we're all lumped together so...if I don't get drunk, being Australia Day and all...then something is wrong.

EDIT2:  Food for thought: There is some place called Knox in Melbourne, which may or may not be a fort, and they have a Timezone, and aside from having an "unlocked SN2" cab they have something called Dog Pounder.  Doesn't that sound disgusting?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:12:31 AM by Gurt »

Offline ZDMKylie

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:15:07 AM »
"I think the great thing about this is practically everyone knows everyone already, and even those of us who don't like Shannon are social enough to fit right in."

LOL I first read that as "Even those who don't like (dislike) Shannon are social enough to fit in", rather than
"Even those who don't practically know everyone already (such as Shannon) are social enough to fit right in"

I love English.

I might be in Japan by that point, but I know me being unable to attend events has never stopped you guys before.

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +11/-6
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
Please you'll all be drunk and making out with each other.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,
WELL WELL WELL WELL THEN !!!!! - Mr. Funhaus, trolled.

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +4/-7
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »
Doesn't it make more sense to have the meet in the city where the majority of the people live?

Just saying.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »
I missed a comma, ooops.

As for Melbourne, well, it's because it's one of the more exotic places, everyone has a memory from there, because it's not too far for anybody so everyone can afford it, because it has a wide variety of games INCLUDING Techika, and most of all...lots of people have been vocal about wanting to go to Melbourne.

Offline E-lix

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
    • Dr Retro
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »
yes carlos we will all go and make out while drinking because theres nothing else on the agenda.

On a serious not i think a night out drinking night would probably need to be planed. hell a big BBQ would be excellent. should see if gwailo ( andrew ) and room mate tom as they have asked me in the passed if we wanted to do anything like it again.

And lachlan we would probably do all over melbourne if where there for a few days but box hill is known for having one of the best kept and maintained arcades down there. they Usually have heaps of bemani and all the top games at the time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:58:48 PM by E-lix »

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »
Haha, ironically their DDR wasn't well maintained last time - I failed a challenge course on both sides when I played (can't remember which one, Paranoia Bros maybe) simply because the panels were a bit stuffed.  But yeah, IIRC the owner actually plays games including Bemani.  Back in the day it was the Mecca of Bemani.  I don't know what is now, maybe it still is, but for us, that's The Place To Be.  (The Place To Be is an awesome song btw)

But really, what we need is variety.  Melbourne has the biggest variety - two Pop'ns, several DDRs, a few IIDXes, a 5-key cab, PPP 2nd MIX, two Dance ManiaXes, Technika, Taiko no Tatsujin, GFDM-a-plenty, and several lesser Korean games like Percussion Master.  I know Box Hill has Tightarse Tuesdays as well where all games are half-price, and since their machines are really generous to begin with and locals are all working, it's great.  You get to play DMGF for $1, and it's four stages, and bonus tracks only count as two!

If this is popular enough maybe we'll want to do it next year as well, and then we can look at other locations.

EDIT:  Also, we need to try to do a GameTraders crawl.  Last time me and An got a good haul...he got a PSX beatmania setup, I got stuff I wanted like Ys on PS2, PaRappa the Rapper on PSP, Rocky on SMS...can't remember actually!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:03:57 PM by Gurt »

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:12:21 PM »
I went to 1 Gametraders in Melbourne and it was hideously underwhelming.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline kups

• comfort tube
  • Beginner
  • Rating: +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 12:59:04 AM »
Not Melbourne
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »
Nice sig, no-sig.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »
Back in the day

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 01:03:59 AM »
Melb is pretty cool guys.

If you have a large enough group, interstate gatherings can be pretty cheap. And if planned far enough in advance, airfares can be very reasonable. Some internet friends of mine did an annual meet-up in different capital cities over a 4-5 year period, group of 30-40 people. There's a lot of options for group bookings.

This would be a lot of fun, but for me it will depend on when it happens. Funds permitting, I'm planning to head to the US next March for 3-weeks to check out PAX East and various other east-coast attractions, so I may not be able to take any other leave early next year.
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999

Offline moose!

• Get a clue, moron
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +15/-1
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
im due to head down there in february (holidays permitting) so depending on when you guys are making this happen i may tag along to meet these oldies :)
i lol'd
go sex up a tree

Offline E-lix

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
    • Dr Retro
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »
air fairs are very good in feburary as it becomes off peak season.i still suggest then as a good time.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »
As I said I am quite sure I am unavailable for February. Work is in recess in January. In February there's always heaps of major cases.

Offline E-lix

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
    • Dr Retro
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »
well we either look at jan where it will be expensive because of school holidays or feb where it will be much cheaper. do we want to loot at something more like early march so its not so fraking hot in melbourne and out of holiday time? are we restricted to early in the year or can we look for something even at the end of next year?

Offline ZDMKylie

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »
February sounds great to me. I think Gurt's the only one who may have problems at the moment, but that's what happens when you have full-time 9-5 work commitments.

Surely there's options like weekends, and sick days... didn't you accrue like a million days worth of annual leave? Anyway my point is if you want it badly enough there's a way around it. Elix is right, January has really expensive fares and I don't want to compete with school children.

While I may be going to Japan in January it's slightly more likely that it will be March, in which case I would be able to do February.

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
Uh, I don't have problems.  I was one of the ones (I honestly can't remember if PrincessPeach1337 thought of it first but I doubt it matters) who suggested this whole thing, remember?  From my point of view, it's other people who have problems.

I accrue heaps of leave but they wouldn't even let me take 20 November off, with notice from August.

I have no idea about February* March but it would be an extremely dangerous assumption, because all signs for me point to no.  There is a reason why it's cheap: Holidays are over.  April and onwards are probably okay because there's heaps of time between now and then, but then you have Supanova and Easter and smeg.

EDIT: To make it perfectly clear, I suggested January for a reason: Because the only months I can say with relative certainty I am available at all are December and January.  Please, stop suggesting February, my head hurts from headdesking.

* This is a sign of brain damage.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:53:10 PM by Gurt »

Offline SAN

• Challenge Mode
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »
Some of my friends are going to Melbourne to play Smash next weekend for about $114. Very cheap.

Offline ZDMKylie

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
Uh, I don't have problems.  I was one of the ones (I honestly can't remember if PrincessPeach1337 thought of it first but I doubt it matters) who suggested this whole thing, remember?  From my point of view, it's other people who have problems.

I meant problems with February. It seems to suit everyone else. There's no reason why you couldn't join us for a weekend.

February really is a possibility, and out of all the choices it seems to be the best one. We don't have to contend with so many other crowds having their holidays, things and cheap, and everyone's available.

Offline ChinoZaki

• STATE CHAMPION
  • Challenge Mode
  • STATE SLAKE CHAMPION
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
Anus.
NO TO BRIGHT ARE WE NOW,

STATE CHAMPION

State Champion - Carlos

Offline Gurt

• Team Doorknob
  • RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
  • LET'S GURT IT ON
    • Neon Pixel Nightmare
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »

*facepalm*

Offline ZDMKylie

• RTF Team Member
  • Challenge Mode
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »

*facepalm*

Of course you're going to see it that way.

I'm staying out of this. You guys can sort it out.

Offline EBE@RTF

• Team Leader - Australia
  • Administrator
  • Challenge Mode
  • Rating: +14/-2
  • Gigantic Ska Robot
    • Team RTF Australia
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
I think it's a fair point. As one of the people organising it (and he brought this idea up elsewhere a while ago), I think he's intitled to be a little bit selfish in choosing the timeframe.

Like I said, though, if I'm going OS in March, I really can't have any other time off around Feb/Mar/April. January will probably be too expensive for everyone. Perhaps mid-year might be a better solution?

When we did the national gatherings with my other group of friends, we did it first weekend on December. I think we managed to get in before the holiday rush that way. Might be too soon this year, but worth investigating? We pulled off the first gathering in Sydney on very short notice and it worked great. It about the people you're meeting up with, not necessarily where you're staying or going.
Team Ranking Task-Force
Part of Australia's DDR community since 1999